1971 Johnson Ignition upgrade?

Austinagraham

Recruit
Hello I am looking for advice on a 1971 Johnson 60 hp model # 60ESL71c. Is there anyone that makes a conversion from points ignition to electronic ignition?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well,----It is electronic.----Just triggered by points.-----What is your motor doing / not doing ?----How long have you owned it ?

Austinagraham

Recruit
I would like to get away from the points they have proven to not be reliable. Hard starting poor performance are a few of the things that I would like to try and aleviate.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
How did you prove that these points are unreliable.-----I do not recall folks having a " hard to start " one of these due to the points being defective !

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Concerning the problems you listed---are you still trying to use surface gap spark plugs? Deep-six those things and get a set of L77JC4 plugs. They will make a world of difference.

Austinagraham

Recruit
So back to my initial question is anyone aware of a conversion to eliminate the points? Thank you for the advice on the spark plugs, that is what I have been using and it does seem to help.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think I saw a kit on E-Bay one time.---Might look there.--------Or was it on Amazon ?

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
In 1972 they upgraded the 60 to 65 horses with exhaust tuning, but more importantly they switched to breaker-less MagFlash CDI ignition with higher voltages. I'm not sure how easily your '71 can be retrofitted (in terms of bosses & threaded holes). Perhaps flywheel & other stuff is involved, I don't know.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??----Why of course you would need the 1972 flywheel to run the magneto and for the sensor coils.----Not sure if that upgrade can be done.----Or never tried to or needed to do it myself.