99 Johnson 25 hp stalling when put into gear

Colby4bush

Cadet
I have a 1999 Johnson 25hp, model j25lp3eem that is stalling when I put it into gear, sometimes I’m able to keep it going and the motor runs just fine if I keep it going! It also will struggle sometimes when I have it in lowest speed it will want to pudder out! I can turn the motor on and increase idle speeds and it runs just fine! Is my idle to low? If so can anyone help me? I’ve noticed some outboards just have a screw but after closer inspection it seems mine won’t be that easy! I’m new to boating I just got a Boston whaler and I just want to fish but this is really beginning to be a downer I hope I can get this fixed. :( thanks in advance

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Have you tried using a Tach to observe/set the idle speed? Is this a 2 or 3 cylinder 25?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That would be the 3 cylinder.-----If the oil mixing unit is on there it should be taken off and thrown away as far as you can.-----Compression test numbers should be posted.

Colby4bush

Cadet
This does not have a tach! As far as the oil mixture I’m not sure because I just mix it myself! Compression is 100 psi on all three cyclinders!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have the 3 needles for low speed mixture been adjusted and if so what are they set at.----To a number of turns or a measured distance ?----It should not be hard to find the 1 idle stop screw on the linkages to bump up the idle speed.----Just look for that screw.----Operating the throttle a bit to see moving linkages may help find that screw.

Last edited:

Colby4bush

Cadet
Have the 3 needles for low speed mixture been adjusted and if so what are they set at.----To a number of turns or a measured distance ?----It should not be hard to find the 1 idle stop screw on the linkages to bump up the idle speed.----Just look for that screw.----Operating the throttle a bit to see moving linkages may help find that screw.

i haven’t messed with carbs at all, it seems to run just fine out of water with an occasional puff of smoke but once in the water it runs good when it’s cold and I can put it in gear and take off just fine it seems when it warms up that it acts up after I take it out of gear! I’m pretty sure I know what screw you are talking about and it’s not touching the throttle linkage at all! It’s actually about a 1/4 of a inch from touching! I’ll try and take a picture to show you before I make any adjustments! Also is 100psi ok in the cyclinders? They were all dead on at a 100

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They all run fine on a hose.----It would sound good on 2 of the 3 cylinders.----I do not know the accuracy of your gauge.----Therfor I can not comment on 100 PSI.----I believe my gauge would show higher on a good motor.

Colby4bush

Cadet
They all run fine on a hose.----It would sound good on 2 of the 3 cylinders.----I do not know the accuracy of your gauge.----Therfor I can not comment on 100 PSI.----I believe my gauge would show higher on a good motor.

I have checked spark and I am getting spark on all 3 cylinders so Im hoping they are all running. Here are some pictures of the idle screw, i guess its not a 1/4 of the way out but its not touching for sure. Does this look like the screw you are talking about?

Attachments

• e`1.jfif
    116.3 KB · Views: 0
  • e.jfif
    129.4 KB · Views: 0

lindy46

Captain
To adjust, first disconnect the throttle cable, then loosen the nut and adjust the bolt to proper idle speed. Tighten the nut and adjust the thumbwheel on the throttle cable to align it, then reattach the cable.

Colby4bush

Cadet
I messed around with it at the lake for a minute idled good for about 5 mins took it around the lake a few times, went back to the dock and it would fall right on it’s face and stall! When the motors running the primer bulb is full but when I idle it gets soft and I can send a few pumps of fuel into engine! Not to mention I went out two times today, the first time my engine was stuck in reverse found out it was a rubber gromet that holds the linkage together from the top and bottom, got a new part and fixed that and went back and was let down lol! I’m mechanically incline but small engines are not something I know much about, I’d like to try and figure this out but I might just have to take it in! The shops here are 4 weeks out :(