Ticking noise on ‘83 Johnson??

Moults

Cadet
Hi gang. Hoping for some insight on a sudden noise that began today.

i have a 1983 Johnson 90 horse with a jet leg on it. Has been running fine and then today I was cruising down river at full throttle and suddenly the motor started ticking in the top end. One second it was fine, the next second it was ticking. It speeds up and slows down according to RPM, and there’s no noticeable change in performance.

I thought maybe it was a spark issue so while while it was running I leaned over and pushed on the spark plug wire and got quite a jolt.

The tell tale is pissing water just fine. Any thoughts?

im gonna run a compression test tonight and I’ll get some video of it running tomorrow. Thanks for any help!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Could be a few things, really need to narrow down where it comes from.
No change in performance sounds like its not arcing
Look at your sparkplug electrodes for signs of any damages/changes just in case

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Those engines were known to have arcing from plug wires to the cowl latches. Your getting a jolt shows a weakness in the insulation

Moults

Cadet
Thanks for the replies boys! To my relief it was a false alarm. A bolt had shaken loose and was rattling around under the head. The higher my rpm, the faster it rattled. Had her back on the river today and she ran like a dream!

thanks again

Moults

Cadet
It came loose from the cover that sits between the two pairs of cylinders. Not exactly sure what’s beneath the cover but there’s about 20 bolts holding it on. The bolt was in plain sight and I was able to get it with a magnet.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That is a water cooled exhaust cover.-----Perhaps there were other bolts loose.----I suggest replacing the 2 gaskets.----Allows you to inspect pistons rings when covers are off.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Check "all" of those bolts pertaining to the exhaust baffle plates... and tighten them securely. Loose bolts in that area could allow water to enter the cylinders. Apparently you were fortunate enough not to encounter that.

The definition of "ticking" normally pertains to wrist pin noise or a chipped pinion gear... something along those lines.

Now... aren't you the lucky one? :)