1985 Evinrude

Toonnewbie

Recruit
Hi everyone, my first post. I have an 85 Evinrude 2 cycle 30hp. My problem is the motor stalls. I thought my problem was water in the fuel. I drained the tank and the carbs, fresh fuel, with seafoam for good measure. She starts and runs great. When we are done swimming it starts right up within 50 yards it acts like it's out of gas. But starts right back up after I prime it. Thinking
carbs

Bosunsmate

Admiral
You should do a spark test when warm. Check they jump a 7/32 gap
Also try priming it when it starts cutting out, in case your fuel pump is going out

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Fuel filter clean? Fuel Pickup in tank clean?, You might have a deteriorated fuel line, causing a reduced fuel supply.
Today's crappy gasolines are designed anticipating a Fuel Injection system, which operates under pressure. With that in mind, the fuels are blended without much consideration regarding Vapour pressure Index(how easily a fuel vapourizes), as the pressure in the lines will keep it liquid even if warm. With carbs, the fuel is under pressure in the fuel line downstream of the pump, but that changes when it enters the fuel bowl of the carb. If too warm it will flash(become vapour) and basically will effectively add more fuel than needed and can cause, bogging, hesitation, and stalling.
The same heat can also cause vapour locking, This will occur between the Tank and the fuel pump, the fuel in that section of line is under less than atmospheric pressure and can flash in the line. Fuel pumps are designed to move liquid, not vapour, and the engine is starved for fuel. Auto/truck makers fixed this one b putting the fuel pump in the fuel tank, thus keeping the fuel under pressure and raising it flash/boiling point.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Use the priming bulb to try and keep it running while its acting up. If successful, likely an issue with the fuel pump (consider rebuilding or replacement.)

Toonnewbie

Recruit
I think I have it sorted out, Last night I verified good spark, double checked all electrical connections, double checked all fuel line connection. Then I remembered when I changed the spark plugs, the ones the PO had in there were gapped at .045 and .050, the evinrude site stated they should be gapped at 0.030. This problem seemed to happen after I changed plugs. So I seated the fuel air mixture all the way down backed out 1.5 turns and began the process of dialing in. That was either the solution or a band-aid because the engine now seems to run smoother than ever, and is ALOT more quiet. I ran it around the lake at WOT and no cut outs, various speeds forward and reverse no cutouts, turned it off went swimming for a bit, started and took me back to the dock with no stalls.
So what do you think? could the FAM have been my problem all along?