1977 75 hp Johnson Stinger starter spins but won't engage

edquade

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,
My 77 Johnson Stinger 75 was working fine all weekend, usually starts with the flick of the key cold or warm. We had been using it, and it sat for maybe 5 minutes off and then the starter would only spin but not engage the flywheel. I pull started it, drove to shore, swapped batteries and it started and ran fine once, then reverted back to not engaging. That day I did hold the starter gear up into the flywheel while my wife turned it over and it would crank and crank but not fire. I did not have a spark tester along to check.

Both batteries are charged up, battery connections have been cleaned, Bendix oiled lightly with gun oil, battery cables are new and free of corrosion, I am getting 12.25 volts at the battery and solenoid, and while cranking the starter side of solenoid is 11.94 volts-12.05 volts with the two different batteries.

The Bendix seems to move up and down freely by hand, and both the starter, solenoid, and battery cables are 2 years old with maybe 40-50 hours of use on them. I also noticed today that the electric choke does not work when I push the key in also.

The rectifier did go bad last year, and instead of buying a new one I used the one off of my dad's 1972 Evinrude 50 hp which is still on the Johnson now.

Does anyone have any insight of what else to check before buying new parts? Thanks in advance.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Best bet is to take starter apart for inspection.-----May just need new brushes.----Simple to do.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I suspect the starter also. Immediate and rapid acceleration of the starter is what kicks the Bendix gear up. It's called inertia. Otherwise it can run forever (not really) without kicking it up.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Might consider a simple "bench" test -- jump the starter directly from your truck or car. Clamp the positive cable to the stud on the starter body, and the negative cable to the mount. If the starter doesn't operate as it should, take it off and disassemble as suggested.

edquade

Seaman Apprentice
Forgot to add that I did just directly to the starter and it would still only spin.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I suppose you could rush out and get a new starter.---- Or you take yours apart to inspect it.---Do an ohm test.-----Might just need a new set of brushes ($6.50 ) a set for me.----Determine if you starter is good or bad first !!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
you gotta take it apart for examination. While we are guessing, might as well guess the permanent magnet fields are cracked (if it is a Bosch starter).

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Saw one of those where one owner had " hit it with a hammer " cracked the magnets -----I suppose after driving 2 hrs to go fishing desperation sets un.----Common sense disappears.----Wallets go empty !

edquade

Seaman Apprentice
Turned out that the starter itself was the culprit, thanks for the help guys.