Water in gear case oil

gnomes9

Seaman Apprentice
While servicing my boat for storage last year, I found milky gear case oil. I changed the oil and left it at that. I'm wondering where I should start. Where could water get in? I've read that the prop shaft seals are the most likely cause, I attached a photo of a parts break down, are the seals I'm looking for #31? Drain and fill plug gaskets were changed last year. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo316826.png
    photo316826.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Leak points are.-----wee O-rings on the propshaft carrier screws.-----O-ring on propshaft carrier.----Shift rod 0-ring.----Shift rod cover gasket.----Driveshaft oil seals.---O-ring on driveshaft bearing carrier.----Propshaft seals.-----Perhaps time for a complete sal kit-----It will save you a bunch on coins in the long run.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You could do/get a Pressure and Vacuum test done on the case

petestud

Recruit
As racerone noted, it is best to replace all of the seals, o-rings and gaskets. Since you have water in the gear case it will need to be taken apart and cleaned out so might as well get everything done. There are a few important things that need to be looked at and these would be excessive wear where the seals for the propeller shaft and driveshaft touch. There will be some wear from contaminants but make sure that it isn't too bad. Use a 400 aluminum oxide strip to wet sand around the shaft to make it as smooth as possible for the new seals. And you may already know that trying to get the carrier out will be a chore since you have aluminum on aluminum going on and will need a puller to get the carrier out. I don't recommend a slide hammer or anything else that would put high impact stresses on it.

gnomes9

Seaman Apprentice
Ok. Do I need to drop the lower unit to pressure/vacuum test? Obviously to change all the o-rings and gaskets I will. It's not fun dropping the LU on my motor. I changed out the water pump last year.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Yes -- drop the l.u. Apply slight pressure (maybe 5 to 6 lbs) through the drain or fill hole after draining. (replace one of the screws for testing.) Spray suspected areas with soapy water, and look for bubbles. The drain and fill gaskets are often a problem, btw. I use a small foot pump and gauge for this, using the inflation needle through some gasket material to seal.

gnomes9

Seaman Apprentice
Would you vacuum test or just positive pressure? I would have to buy a hand vacuum pump if so.

thatone123

Banned
Old hands along the Yukon and Tanana rivers where the shifting glacial sands shift every night and lower units fail like poker chips fill the gear cases with thick grease gun grease. Won't work forever but longer than one would think.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
It is usually sufficient to pressure test when looking for a leak. Vacuum testing is easy, though, with a Mityvac -- useful for many other purposes, but about $50.

gnomes9

Seaman Apprentice
Does anybody know if there is a lu seal kit for my model of Evinrude, 1982 E90TLCN?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your Evinrude dealer likely has a kit in stock !----They are that common.

gnomes9

Seaman Apprentice
I phoned yesterday, he told me there was no kit for my year? It's okay I can google for one.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Here we go again.-----That seal kit was not sold / listed in the 82 model year.-----That gearcase was used for many years !!---So find the seal numbers.----Find those seal numbers in newer kits.------Order the kit.----Most dealers today will only respond to part numbers.-----An old friend called me from 4 hrs away looking for help with 115 HP Mercury---------Would not keep running.----Dealer said no fuel pump available.-----Gave him the part # for fuel pump repair kit.------Called me to say " thanks " and motor is running properly again.

gnomes9

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, so I found that the gear case was leaking from the o-ring on the bearing carrier and from the shift shaft. I removed the bearing carrier and changed the shaft seals. When I installed them I put a little smear of liquid gasket on the outside. I have new o-rings for the bolts that hold the carrier in place. I would like to know if I should be putting the liquid gasket or anything else on the carrier bolts and the big o-ring for the bearing carrier.

gnomes9

Seaman Apprentice
Another thing, do I simply unscrew my shift shaft to remove it? Just want to make sure before i do. I do have a new o-ring and gasket

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Note the height of the shift shaft, as you must reinstall it to the exact height.

What shape is the shift cover plate? The tend to corrode and cause the shift shaft to bind. Replacement is easy.

Might as well replace the seal on the driveshaft, while you are at it.

gnomes9

Seaman Apprentice
Here is a pic of the cover plate.

Attachments

• photo337783.png
    photo337783.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 0