9.5hp Johnson seahorse

Timkenneyjr

Cadet
Ok so, I recently picked up a long time sitting 67 mq13b. Everything needed gone through, last attempt to start previous owner couldn’t get it to run on fuel, I’ve gone through the carb ignition tiller handle lower unit cleaned fuel pump out everything before attempting to pull the rope, (seized from years of sitting little clp does wonders!) after all this I have run into the same problem. If I put fuel through the top of carb she will run. Briefly. The primer will pump up, disconnected from the carb it will shoot fuel, fuel😩 I can also get fuel to the bowl manually through the carb inlet it seems. Now, I have swapped the fuel pump lines with clear lines so I can see delivery and it seems it pumps more air than fuel. Before I can get the fuel to the carb the fuel is trickling back down the line, and the bulb is tight, I have gone through the carb as I said with a mech at local marina and everything is good(rebuild kit on order anyway) however nothing else matters til I can get fuel fed in, it is the bigger old style fuel pump and I’m thinking that the fuel problem is related to the orientation of the pump and lines( someone tried tinkering previously) due to lines being wrong size and shimmed with cut line pieces I thought I had it figured out to be the issue but I’be changed them all and everything seems to be pretty well sealed off. It’s gotta be something simple but I have gone through all the forums and internet info I can find and can’t find anything on this kind of issue. If it’s the fuel pump I need to know why it’s the fuel pump if it’s the carb tell me why. I’m no stranger to repairing anything I can get my tools to and I have to understand what and why not just replace an hope, just one of my peeves I guess, pleas advise any and all much appreciated. I I can find out exactly how this pump is supposed to be setup and lines as well it would be greatly appreciated

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Could be the o-rings in the fuel line connectors letting air in. Fuel pump diaphragm might be not flexing, or may have a pinhole. Check valves in the fuel pump might be sticking open

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
lift the fuel supply above the engine…..pump it up and if it runs you have a fuel delivery issue to solve. (tank ..hose ...pump ???)

if not you have a carb issue ...how was it cleaned ??? totally partially air blow in all passages low speed circuit opened up and cleaned ??? high sped jet on the bottom of the carb cleaned ?? how's compression ?? 65-70 psi and up is ok not great but ok

btw do the impeller on this oldy… & read up on fuel pump ..on Leroy's

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC_9.5.htm

Attachments

• photo316822.jpg
    photo316822.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Simple ----Remove the pump.------Hook the hose directly to the carburetor.-----Have an assistant operate the manual pump.-----Will the motor start and keep running ???----Does spark jump a gap of 5/16" on both leads , yes or no ?----Is the high speed jet in the bottom of the float bowl confirmed to be clean ?----Did you take that 5/8" long brass jet out , yes or no ?----Are the plug wires new and are they with a wire core if new ?----

Timkenneyjr

Cadet
OK I’ve finally Ive finally got it thank you guys, so as crosbyman suggested I raised a fuel cell I built using an IV stand for a Suzuki motorcycle project from years ago and runs solid, so I reverted Jimmbo and went to the fitting at the tiller handle and sure enough the oring in the hose from tank to motor was indeed split allowing more air than fuel it seemed, in addition I send back through those lines and found pieces of the deteriorating fuel line “liner” from the Atwood setup that was attached to the tank. Upon further inspection I found that it was 5/16 hose on a 3/8 fitting.. so tank setup I purchased was not as I assumed it to be, and yes crosbyman I have been deep into leeroysramblings for sometime, I also have a 63. 5.5. And I have looked into the new fuel pump as well and ordered a spare impeller, condensers, coils, points, and all (have replaced all as well) and it is running awesome now thank you guys very much, as a tinkerer/mechanic/fabricator with a few shade trees in the yard, I decided to get a boat just so I had a reason to pick up old outboard motors and bring em to life! Always time to learn and I’m having a blast! Next project I’m going to try to learn remote control concepts and see if I can make something for this old girl on my old 13’9” seaking

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
that is what got me into it…. a friend's dad QD 10hp needed TLC ...now I have to many motors !
I have a freebie….. white MQ 1965 waiting for next winter to come in the house and be pampered :joyous: