1963 Johnson 5.5hp

Doc6682

Recruit
Good afternoon. Long time lurking finally joined your guys fine site. First time posting. I will be getting a great condition 1963 Johnson 5.5hp for my 10' Jon boat in a couple weeks. Model cd-20r. Have a couple of questions about the motor. I've researched and am somewhat confused. Here they go. Guy I'm getting motor from got it in a trade without fuel tank or hose. Does this year model require a pressure tank? I thought I'd read where omc went away from pressure tanks around 1960. If it requires pressure tank it appears fairly easy to convert to noon pressure tank by adding fuel pump. Am I correct? I have seen the motor run by holding a portable can above the motor and gravity feeding it. Fuel mixture 24:1 correct. This motor is same age as myself. Kinds excited about that. Price wise costing me $100. Any and all information and advice is appreciated up front. I'm sure I'll have more questions. This is somewhat of an upgrade for me. Right now my boat is powered by a tohatsu 3.5. It runs great, but sometimes takes a while to get up river where I set and run my catfish trotlines. All help appreciated.
Doc

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
a 1963 has a fuel pump, so single fuel hose. Mix is 24:1 TCW-3 oil.

z5.5.jpg

Doc6682

Recruit
Jimmbo,
thank you sir very much. You confirmed what I thought. Logistics and work are keeping me from having it to fish with tomorrow. Have a great weekend sir

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
great motor … change the impeller check coils for cracks clean and adjust carb

not to much change from earlier CD models so check out these links

aside from the modern fuel pump the rest very similar

a good book to read is CHEAP OUTBOARDS

https://www.amazon.ca/Cheap-Outboard.../dp/1891369628

http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/library.html#

changing impeller means pulling of the power head not a big or complicated job but you may need a new base gasket
if you break the original one

careful not to loose or break the round carbon seal under the power head read the boat info johnson manual to become familiar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVOedhzPP7M

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
In 1975, we acquired a 1964 version of that engine. We put it through the wringer: Overheated it enough that the paint on the head was brown; ran it for about two weeks with no oil in the gearcase, submerged it twice, once was a rollover at WOT(12mph) , and it never died. It was still running in the early 90s. I wonder what ever became of it.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
mine had problems….but redid all electricals and carb sold it to my neighbor years ago and it is still his favorite troller/spare kicker for… his Honda 40hp :joyous:

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
bad coils needed to be replaced ...

Attachments

• photo310025.jpg
    photo310025.jpg
    840.2 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The term ----" they do not make them like they used to "------applies to these motors.------If you know and want to do basic repairs you will not need to buy another fishing motor.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Gravity feeding fuel probably means the fuel pump is bad, not a big deal.

Doc6682

Recruit
We gravity fed it because he didn't have a fuel tank or hose. Just a piece of fuel hose in a portable gas can connected to the fuel input to the carb. I'll have to obtain a marine fuel tank,hose, squeeze bulb,and motor connector. My tohatsu has a built-in gas tankso I've never had the need for a marine tank. I carry a 3 gallon fuel can with premixed on the boat to fill the tohatsu when I run out while fishing. Thanks for the replies. It is much appreciated

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Probably a difference in mix ratios. A large plastic trash can and a homemade stand makes a good setup for initial testing. Make sure water depth is five or six inches above the water pump. River running can be hard on impellers, so you may routinely need annual replacement.