Evinrude 35520 exhaust seal

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastexasjonny

Recruit
I'm restoring an old Lark II that has about half the seal it came with. #305672. I'm curious as to what symptoms would be observed with this seal broken or missing? Does this prevent exhaust from coming back into the engine cover, or some other purpose? I'm also suffering with the horrible factory manual vagueness and lack of quality images so any help would be appreciated. I've been a a mechanic for 40 years and used to better source materials.....

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well that is correct, it keeps exhaust from coming up into the motor cover and entering the carburetor, smothering the engine.. It is not the only route the exhaust can get into the hood. If idling at the dock with exhaust bubbling up around the motor, it certainly can get sucked up past the seal. But at planning speed, most of the exhaust is left in the wake far behind the boat. If you are getting exhaust inhalation at planning speed, suspect the o-ring seal on top of the water pump housing. And/or the extension tube if a long shaft motor.

lindy46

Captain
Sorry to revive an old thread. Just wondering if a torn exhaust seal could cause excessive unburnt gas/oil residue from leaking out the seam where the gearcase attaches to the leg?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Sorry to revive an old thread. Just wondering if a torn exhaust seal could cause excessive unburnt gas/oil residue from leaking out the seam where the gearcase attaches to the leg?
Nope, seepage there can be considered normal, at least in the sense that there is nothing to prevent it.

lindy46

Captain
I bought a new seal but since the motor runs great (no exhaust in the motor cover), I think I'll wait to install it until fall when I'll pull the gearcase to get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.