Have this info at hand before asking for HELP

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
I have found that by having the following info at hand this WILL HELP others to help getting closer quicker to fixing your problem.

1 Does it have a spark that can jump 7/16th of an inch with a Snap ?
2 Do all the spark plugs spark ?
3 Have you done a compression test ?
4 Are all the cylinders with in 10% of each other ?
5 What have you tired to rectify the fault ?
6 Has the motor been lying around disused for a while ?
7 Do you have the year and model number ?
8 Have you read the Secret Files at the top of the section ?

If there are more items please chip in guys

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Well, yes — but then we wouldn’t be able to do battle over solutions, scold newbie outboarders, propose tested fixes along with some new ones.

Peer approval — messy and sometimes nasty, but gets best results.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those working on their first motor need to be prepared not to assume they know how things work.-----Outboard motors are a different machine with some very simple concepts.----Some simple trouble shooting suggestions are often not well received by a novice.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
So should they go through this first or best to just jump on the forum page then be told all of this ?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The more info we get in the initial Post means less chance of going down the Wrong Path, looking for the cause
That wasn't meant to sound 'Hollier than Thou'. I know I've blotched Questions and Repliies

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I think it's all good as long as us regulars are as friendly and patient as we can be...that's what seems to turn off the newer breed, people being like "I told ya so" or "didnt you read post 5"

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I think it's all good as long as us regulars are as friendly and patient as we can be...that's what seems to turn off the newer breed, people being like "I told ya so" or "didnt you read post 5"

Unfortunately an it's a unreversable rising trend of people that want a quick answer solution to R&R so they can move on.

We all want to get done quickly, however we are not going to volunteer to micromanage their issue.

Once we get all the base data from the OP and give an accurate recommendation, do they listen or not?

If it is a matter of being new or ignorance, we ask to verify if they understand our recommended steps. Then assist to make clear why and how these steps are needed.

If they ignore it and keep pushing ahead without crediable evidence of another valid reason, just refer to previous statement and ignore future questions by OP in thread.

Maybe they'll get the hint the next time they post a topic.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
So should they go through this first or best to just jump on the forum page then be told all of this ?
Let me play devils advocate for a minute

What do any of these questions have to do with why turning the key and nothing happens? Or ... my trim doesn’t work all of a sudden?

Managed Sales and Service departments for a long. If you want to pi$$ off a customer, hand them a list of stipulations (for service) and tell them they must met these demands prior to you blessing them with your presence. Not the best way to start a relationship.

It’s called “customer” service for a reason.

The interaction with the customer is far more important than fixing his product. A repair brings them to you once. Good customer skills keeps them coming back

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Its nothing to do with customer service. They are not paying for our time. If they followed the steps and / or read the secret files. There is a greater chance of diagnosing the fault and proposing a fix in a quicker time.
Thats what folk want when they come on here. They are not here to chew the fat as we say. More often than not they have a problem with their motor and want it fixed/ fault found asap so they can get back on the water.
I see your point if you were to charge for this but we dont and to be honest, the person posting the problem aint to bothered neither all they want is to be on the water. They will always return here because its FREE ADVICE
If they want customer service they can go pay the dealer $$$ to get told the same thing is wrong with his boat. We try to help save them cash and get them boating quickly. Plus they learn well so of them do.