1977 Evinrude 75hp

pontoonpat

Recruit
engine is in Great condition, I haven't run, because I was saving, for another, boat project..I've been working on. Has been sit'n, in-doors, for about, 5yrs..) Ran this past weekend, on fresh tank of gas. started, on 3rd, crank. idle, needed adjusted..Ok. Put boat in water, didn't have any froward, speed (ran like a 10hp, instead of, 75hp). had throttle, wide open..just no power.. Plugs were, amazingly clean, (bottom one, was, a little, dirty. cleaned, and, re-used) Engine ran, but, just no power....It would surge, from time to time, while underway, like it, wanted to run, faster. Same, as, when, idling...like I was, hit'n, the, accelerator, in a car (rev-up & down, just for Second's, without me, touching, anything.)..any kind of suggestions, on where to begin, would be, much appreciated..thanks!

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
After the spark test. Check each plug is actually sparking. I had a similar faulty on a bigger engine. I checked spark at 7/16th
Jumped this easy but i didn't check if the plug was sparking. This gave me a False Positive :facepalm:
I spent another 2 weekends trying to trace a fault only to find a dead plug.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Get an open air adjustable spark tester at an auto parts store to measure spark on each lead -- tests magneto strength. Get a couple of fresh plugs (Champion L77JC4). The CD2 power pack for that motor is $60 to $70, which is not outlandish imo.

When buying the spark tester, you can see if the store will lend out a compression tester -- should check that before anything else.