Johnson JW-18R questions

Talldanlin

Recruit
Hello everyone,
New here with a question for the group. I’m looking at purchasing an old 3 hp outboard (Johnson JW-18R) to push a small 8 food inflatable. I’ve been told the outboard has been stored for a few years and isn’t currently running and is up for $150 CDN. It’s missing it’s lower engine cowl. Is this a good deal? What should I be looking for as far as know issues before I go through with the purchase?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
1963 model.-----If it has not run for many , many years you would remove the recoil and the inspection plate to look at the coils under the flywheel.------You will see 2 cracked coils or 2 new ones already.----Your location ?

Last edited:

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
seriously… missing parts for $150.... plus refurbish of coils ignition points, impeller carb float and all etc...another $100

to pricy for me paid most of my JW around $50...one was 40 $ cdn with no missing parts

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps more demand for the few old motors there.-----Salt water takes a lot of them out.-----No way would I pay $150 for one in my area.-----Paid $150 for a pristine 63 model 5-1/2 Johnson with totally new factory ignition.-----Runs like a top.-----Still has the original impeller that pumps , but it will get a new one.

lindy46

Captain
seriously… missing parts for $150.... plus refurbish of coils ignition points, impeller carb float and all etc...another $100

to pricy for me paid most of my JW around $50...one was 40 $ cdn with no missing parts

Agree - look for a complete running motor for that price.

Talldanlin

Recruit
Thanks for the speedy responses everyone. I’ll keep my eyes open for something complete and running, cheers!