'92 Johnson 9.9 help

theoutlaw6

Cadet
Model # J10RELENA
At the lake yesterday and my engine was running fine. On the way back in I went to stop and couldn't. The ignition plate under the flywheel was stuck on the shift lever. I got it into neutral but the engine revved at high rpm's. I shut it off immediately. I got the plate unjammed and limped back to the dock. Any idea what would cause this?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove the flywheel.-----Sounds like something may have come loose.

theoutlaw6

Cadet
Pulled the flywheel and there was a screw holding the wires on the bottom that appeared to be to long and was hitting as it was trying to come back around. Shorter screw inserted and hopefully to the lake to try it out tomorrow.

theoutlaw6

Cadet
Ran it Friday and Saturday with that problem seeming to be fixed. Now it seems like I'm not getting top end very often. Yesterday I had my wife drive and I unhooked the throttle cable ran it by hand and it ran great! Possibly a bad cable?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Match the cable to the engine (first assumption is that adjustment is needed). With the engine set to WOT by hand, adjust and reattach the cable.

theoutlaw6

Cadet
Took it out today after adjusting. Ran full speed about 100yds out and then lost the top end again. Discovered a pretty good drip coming from the thermostat housing. Is it possible that a faulty stat is causing this?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Your #4 post is important, I believe -- does sound like a cable issue. The cable reach has to be sufficient to hit the WOT position at the motor. It's probably not a bad cable, wouldn't assume that anyway. Both ends of the cable have to be secured by clips at the motor end and the cable box. Then the adjustment is made with the plastic nut at the motor end. The '92 would have a special pass-through device that clamps the cable as it runs through the pan (where the shut-off button was -- moved to another special part attached to the front of the pan.)

A picture of your setup might be helpful here, and a description of your adjustment.

theoutlaw6

Cadet
I started by turning in the mixture screw in and then backing it out about 1.25 turns. I set the cable around where the brass is shiny. I start the engine and adjust to set the idle. I can get the idle good where she purs like a kitten, but this problem with the topend! I had a different shorter cable that I put on it yesterday before I went out. The boat is 18' and it had 17' cable on it in which there was a lot extra.

Attachments

• photo316884.jpg
    photo316884.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316885.jpg
    photo316885.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 0