79 Johnson 35 idle?

JerEazy

Petty Officer 1st Class
79 Johnson Seahorse 35

according to the manual the roller should line up with these two little marks on the timing roller. The engine isles fine and revs up relatively well. But I cannot find any way to adjust this piece to make the roller meet between them in neutral idle.

am I missing something. I have the factory service manual. But can’t seem to locate the procedure.

Pic is where it is now

JerEazy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think I just answered my own question:

“Advance throttle until marks on throttle cam are aligned with contact point”

so it shouldn’t be on them at idle - advance the throttle until the line up and make sure the valve is just starting to open and make sure the roller is touching.

Sometimes just need need to read it again

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On an outboard the throttle plate is CLOSED at idle.----Rpm is then controlled with timing.------It seems to be a confusing thing for many folks.----So that roller does NOT touch on a motor in good condition at a slow idle.

JerEazy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok - I’m confused then - the manual says “at this point, the throttle valve should just start to open, and the roller must be touching the cam.”

Or are are you saying at regular neutral idle it idle it should not be touching?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They are saying and very clearly so that the throttle plates must NOT OPEN too soon.-----There should be a space between the roller and the cam at dead slow isle.----Also referred to as pick-up timing.-----That is the point where throttle plates open.----This is a 2 stroke engine and not the same as " grandpa's " 283 Chevy small block.

JerEazy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Right - I didn’t read that in the manual - but regardless. so no touch as dead idle. Touch when the roller and those marks line up.

kbait

Commander
Right - I didn’t read that in the manual - but regardless. so no touch as dead idle. Touch when the roller and those marks line up.

If ‘touch’ = ‘throttle plate just begins to open’, then yes... roller may actually touch cam earlier, but set so throttle plate begin to open between marks.

JerEazy

Petty Officer 1st Class
If ‘touch’ = ‘throttle plate just begins to open’, then yes... roller may actually touch cam earlier, but set so throttle plate begin to open between marks.

Thank you