2003 Johnson 50 blowing Starter/Power Tilt fuse

MRDMW

Recruit
The fuse blows infrequently, maybe every other usage of the boat. Can't get it to blow when boat is on land, visual inspection finds nothing but the fuse blown. Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting. Can't tell if it's happening when starter or power tilt is in use.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
You say "Starter/Power Tilt fuse"... That indicates (to me) that you're using the same inline fuse (20amp) that is in a RED wire leading to the "B" terminal of the ignition switch, and if so... not a good idea.

Best to have the voltage wire leading to the PTT attached directly to the battery (or fuse block). I have yet to see in a factory wiring diagram a fused voltage line leading to a PTT unit,.... Something new?.... They usually incorporate a Circuit Breaker instead.

MRDMW

Recruit
Thank you. I just bought this boat 3 weeks ago so don't know much history. It appears to be wired as it would be from the manufacture, but what you've said makes sense. the 20 amp fuse is connected to the + side of the starter solenoid and when it is blown starter and tilt wont work. Maybe mystery is if by chance the tilt and starter get engaged at the same time the load is to much for the fuse. I'll try connecting the tilt direct to BAT with another fuse inline. If it continues blowing at least I'll know which circuit did the deed.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Thank you. I just bought this boat 3 weeks ago so don't know much history. It appears to be wired as it would be from the manufacture, but what you've said makes sense. the 20 amp fuse is connected to the + side of the starter solenoid and when it is blown starter and tilt wont work. Maybe mystery is if by chance the tilt and starter get engaged at the same time the load is to much for the fuse. I'll try connecting the tilt direct to BAT with another fuse inline. If it continues blowing at least I'll know which circuit did the deed.

Shows you got a head on your shoulders... good thinking!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
That's gonna be kind of tricky...

The TNT switch is fused through that fuse, not the TNT motor. Un hook the red blue and green connectors at the cowl switch and/or by the deutch plugs. Operate boat, you wont have TNT, does it still blow fuse? If so look for pinched worn wires in the TNT switch circuit. Usually found near the controller since that's where the wires move. Another great place for shorts is where the harness bends before going into motor or at the rubber bushing where harness enters cowl.

MRDMW

Recruit
Thank you Captain, Looks like a sound plan, I'll let you know what I come up with.