Most of the stuff I am reading..Troubleshooting ignition system?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Most of the stuff I am reading from CI and other places that a DVA for your multimeter is a requirement, which if I have to buy one is not a problem, but what parts of the system can be checked without one. Right now I have no spark on either cylinder on my '73 50 hp model number 50373R.

Thanks guys.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Facts.----Both coils did not fail at the same time.-----Charge coils and sensor coils can be tested with an ohm meter without removing the flywheel.------Disconnecting black yellow stripe takes ignition switch out of the picture.----Starter should be taken apart / inspected and tested.-------If all those thing test out good the powerpack is the culprit.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Facts.----Both coils did not fail at the same time.-----Charge coils and sensor coils can be tested with an ohm meter without removing the flywheel.------Disconnecting black yellow stripe takes ignition switch out of the picture.----Starter should be taken apart / inspected and tested.-------If all those thing test out good the powerpack is the culprit.

Okay, thanks much Racer.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I retrieved a 1975 model of your motor out of the local landfill today.-----Won't take long for me to determine why someone gave up on it !!!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I retrieved a 1975 model of your motor out of the local landfill today.-----Won't take long for me to determine why someone gave up on it !!!

I look forward to hearing about it, good find, I found a 4 cylinder a couple of weeks ago at the local landfill and they would not let me take it home....

:grumpy:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I look forward to hearing about it, good find, I found a 4 cylinder a couple of weeks ago at the local landfill and they would not let me take it home....

:grumpy:

Bet it went home with someone....at the end of their shift. :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I could not believe it either when I saw the 50 HP pushed halfway up the scrap metal pile.----Propshaft turned and flywheel turned.------Motor was complete.----I said ----" I am taking this home today "-----Took 15 minutes before it was on my pick-up.------High shop rates / refusal to work on them.----Relatively cheap new motors makes them a throwaway item for some folks.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well did all my tests on the motor, compression 95+ on both cylinders, new plugs, checked starter, removed the black/yellow, still no spark, so I guess it is time to order a new power pack!

Still don't understand how it went bad over the winter covered and not exposed to the elements, but at least I should be able to get into the water this year now that I believe I figured out what is bad.

Just in case, anything else I should check before putting my order in?

Also, I have seen these power packs priced from $95 to almost $150. Anybody know a reason for the big difference in price?

w2much

Lieutenant
Check all of your grounds. just sitting would not kill it. a bit of corrosion on your ground will.
second answer; sometimes a supply issue, sometimes aftermarket, . Myself I like to purchase on an auction site that guarantees what is written. Then I purchase the least expensive one which states in working condition or new.