Wot noise 72 20hp

Hoppi84

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got a noise at wot but if I lower the throttle a bit it goes away.. this a timing issue with the points or what... it's a 20 hp btw. I've gotten the sound to drop just below wot tho so that's why I was thinking my points or possibly carb because I messed with them that run. here's a quick video
https://youtu.be/L8rwN0MW7NQ

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Describe the sound as specifically as possible... tingeing, ticking, banging, scraping, shotgun shell sounding, loud exhaust, what?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Pull out the starter cord slightly while running and see if the tinging sound goes away (don't engage the starter).

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I'm hearing a banging (??) Does the shifter lever jump when it does that?

Hoppi84

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The shift lever wasn't moving that I could see but funny you say that tho cause had a heck of time getting the shift rod connector just right but hopefully that's past... its definitely a tinging and ringing tho

Hoppi84

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It took a few tries of adjusting it just right before itd stay in gear under load... the lower unit had been messed with because it's got an older prop shaft without the two balls and spring to return it to neutral

Hoppi84

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When spinning the prop and engaging forward and then going back in neutral it was like it was wanting to start to mesh with the reverse lobe or vice versa...

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Is this what your gearcase looks like: http://ww2.iboats.com/Gearcase/dm/ca...iew_id.1532575 ? There is no adjustment (none intended, anyway) for the brass link between upper and lower shift rods. You might take out the screws completely, one at a time, and refit each of the shafts. The bolt has to pass through the slot in the shaft -- might help to open up the brass connector a little using a bladed screwdriver, and then assemble.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It took a few tries of adjusting it just right before itd stay in gear under load... the lower unit had been messed with because it's got an older prop shaft without the two balls and spring to return it to neutral

It sounds like the Dog and/or the gears are worn.
As for the lack of a Detent on the propshaft, that means the shaft is pre 66 or 67(I forget exactly which year), The balls weren't there to ensure Neutral, they were added to 'speed up' the shifting into gear, and to provide a bit of pressure keeping it in gear.

Hoppi84

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That's what my gear case looks like but the prop shaft had no detent like jimmbo said... then I took the connector off from the lower and then I left it on with midsection... it was a longshaft with a 50ish gear case that was really skinny and the gears and pinion were really worn... and one of the head case assemblies it was like the prop seal was soldered on...

Hoppi84

Petty Officer 3rd Class
And the adjustment was on the shift lever... I went back out lastnite and was spinning the prop in neutral and itd go in to forward and back to neutral but reverse sometimes itd still want to mesh with reverse in neutral cause you can hear a lil clanging...

Hoppi84

Petty Officer 3rd Class
And the bushing on the 72 gearcase for shift rod seems like there's no resistance