1971 Evinrude 60 Flywheel Key Alignment

kyle55r

Recruit
Hi, I am reinstalling the flyhweel onto a '71 Evinrude 60 (60173C) and was wondering if the key is meant to be installed parallel to the taper or crank centerline.

Thank you.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remember that the tapers must fit properly.----Clean and dry. no oil or grease.-----Torque nut to 100 ft lbs.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I have no idea what the theory of this is, but be careful....you asked about YOUR motor and got an answer from F_R, who just knows, and from Joe Reeves who also knows but posted the OEM manual reference.

It is not OMC-wide. I have a 1975 E'rude 6HP. That key is set parallel to the taper....right in my OEM manual.

Kind of makes me wonder whether it really matters, But if they actually specify I guess the smart thing is to follow that instruction.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Yeah Tim.... I also have all those manuals and agree that there's a few things in those manuals that shouldn't be there. However, the graphic I inserted that coincides with F_R's description shows the key vertical with the engine and NOT the taper is how it should be.

Think about it now... nice guys like us, would we lie? :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
All you really need to do is look at the keyway in the flywheel.-----Same at the top and bottom, or not ?-----It could not be simpler

F_R

Supreme Mariner
All you really need to do is look at the keyway in the flywheel.-----Same at the top and bottom, or not ?-----It could not be simpler

Yep, racer hit the nail on the head. Actually, there is a reason for the difference. The flywheel hub has to fit between the coil laminations on certain models. Because of the large crankshaft diameter on certain models, the resulting hub wall thickness is pretty thin. Thin enough that if the keyway was parallel with the taper, it would darn near cut it in half at the bottom end. I'm aware of this because I've made about a trainload of hubs for the timing fixtures.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I sold my business operation to Richard White. richardsoutboardtools.com