spitting fuel from low speed jets

mhyder63ford

Seaman
1985 140 hp looper evinrude its spitting fuel out of the low speed jets, randmly out of all 4 carbs?

mhyder63ford

Seaman
i have a 1985 140 evinrude looper i,m having fuel spit out of low speed jets all 4 carbs were rebuilt by marine shop. floats are right. any ideas?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I doubt it is coming out of the low speed jets, as those are internal passages. Air Bleeds/Bowl Vents can leak fuel, if the floats are too high or the inlets valves aren't sealing.

mhyder63ford

Seaman
cant figure out how to post video but is spitting out of low speed jets and it comes out of all 4 carbs at different times.

mhyder63ford

Seaman
i bought this motor last fall. when i got it it had a bad shake to it. took to shop they said carbs were bad, so they rebuilt them. ran good for one fishing trip thent shake would come and go. so i put all new plugs wires and coil packs on it. problem a little better but not right. tore into it a little more and found a wire on the cdi box almost minched in to. so a new cdi box now. no shake now but it wouldn't go full throttle with out bogging down. took face off breather box and found the spitting. i have put maybe 3 hours on this motor. it has 125-128 lbs of compression on all 4 cylniders i'm lost now

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If fuel is spitting out of a Carb, it is usually from the Throat, indicating leaky Reeds. However Reeds usually last forever, rarely failing in groups, except those Tissue Paper Fiberglass ones(non stock).

You say the carbs were rebuilt last year. How did you winterize it? Park it? Stabilizer in fuel, and fogged engine? Pulled fuel line and let engine run out of gas? Drained carbs?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
On loopers if fuel spits out idle jet 90% time the pistons is scuffed on exhaust side. The small bore loopers like yours are bad about this as they have a bridged exhaust as did the 86-90 3 cylinder.