Idle Adjustment

willows.2@hotmail.com

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All.

I have had to replace the Timer Base and Power Pack on my 2001 Johnson 60hp 2stroke.
I now need to adjust the idle timing...which according to the manual is 4deg ATD.
Do i really need to adjust it in the river underway.....or can i just run the motor in a drum in fwd gear?

Thanks.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The 4 degrees ATD is not a Idle Timing spec, it is the Pickup TIming Spec, which has to do with carb/timing sync. There is no 'Idle Timing' spec as the Timing is retarded until the specified rpm is attained. It will vary based on load, so changing a Prop may affect idle speed, and thus the final idle timing.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do not adjust anything if you are unsure of what you are adjusting.-----Timing on these motors is set for full throttle only.------Actual timing at idle looks after itself.

willows.2@hotmail.com

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, even if its a Idle Timing Spec......wont i still need to check and adjust, being a replacement Timer Base?
At idle the engine is running rough.......carbys had previously been cleaned and synced by a Technician before replacing the Timer Base.
At 4500rpm motor runs smooth, at about 5000rpm you can feel a slight vibration in the boat, at 5500rpm the vibration is clearly there.

Thanks.