Sludge

Puncheon50

Seaman Apprentice
I just got back from a fishing vacation and I am hesitant to mess with my engine because it performed beautifully. BUT, I noticed after trolling a couple hours, I noticed an oil water Sludge coming out of the exhaust after pulling the boat out and dropping the engine. This isn't gear oil and it's not the black carbon drippage. It's unburnt oil mixed with water in the exhaust. I noticed if I came back to the dock at WOT , it must blow that stuff out. Anyway, is it possible that one cylinder is not firing in forward idle? I installed a tachometer and at forward idle I am running a constant 850rpm. Is that too low? At 4000 rpm I am running 26mph and 30mph at 4500. I also am using the quicksilver synthetic blend. Could that be the issue?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Most folks will say that is normal for a 2 stroke.----But check for strong spark on each lead.----Strong spark jumps a gap of about 3/8" or more on electronic ignition systems.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I get a white “foam” in the exhaust ports from time to time if the water is really cold. Is this what your talking about?

The first time it happened I had no idea what was going on. A short time later, I had a float valve stick on me a couple of days later. That was 3 years ago

It happened again this Spring. I suspect another flaky needle valve. Having an issue with an ever so slight, short duration miss coming out of the hole first thing in the morning. Disappears once the motor gets warm

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Completely normal. Just think about it---every bit of the oil that you put in the gas passes through the engine. Some burns (makes smoke) and the rest goes out the exhaust. At idle, combustion temperatures are lower and exhaust temperatures are lower, which translates into less burning and more going out the exhaust. In addition, some old engines deliberately dumped unburned fuel. So much depends on what you are running.

Anyhoo, it is just the way things are.