1978 85hp Evinrude

Rdjga

Recruit
Model#85899C I have had intermittent firing problems (engine low on power, rpm's way down) I have isolated the problem down to one cylinder. I know the power pack is good and the coil is good. I have learned that the stator furnishes power to the power pack. My question is, can the stator supply power to only one side of the power pack, or is the wire from the stator to the power pack the problem? this is an intermittent problem. If the wire is bad can it be repaired or do I need to replace the stator? thank you for your help.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Powerpacks and coils known good because they were replaced?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The stator has two large "charge coils" meaning they charge the power pack's capacitor. No, they cannot charge only half of it. Both coils combine to charge the whole thing. On the other hand, it has two sensors on the timer. One bad sensor (or wire) can knock out TWO cylinders.

Rdjga

Recruit
The power packs and coils were all replaced and I confirmed operation with an in line spark tester. When I did not get fire on the one cylinder, I swapped sides with the power packs and the suspect coil. I did inspect the wires coming from the stator and they look fine. I do not know how to test of they both have continuity.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
They have continuity or it would be missing on at least two cylinders