1989 Johnson 90 HP fuel solenoid, no start

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I tried starting the boat after it ran for a bit, the trim fuse was blown. After replacing the fuse, the motor would not start, when I turn the key the only thing that clicks is this fuel solenoid, picture. Do I need to replace this? Or could it be the solenoid?
Thanks,
GSX455

Attachments

• photo316437.jpg
    photo316437.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 0

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
That should click when you push the key in only. That is the fuel primer solenoid for starting. If it clicks it is working. Does the motor turn over at all? Are you sure that was a trim fuse?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
look for 20amp inline fuse in vicinity of plug.

Is the shift selector in neutral?

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, the shift selector is in neutral, and the motor did not start after I replaced the 20A inline fuse. No click, nothing, on the the solenoid but there is power as I can operate the trim.

fireman57

Captain
disconnect the primer solenoid and see if the engine turns over if you are sure your 20amp fuse is good.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
think I would rule out the neutral safety switch(es). One under the flywheel and one in the remote control box?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Where is this neutral safety switch that is under the flywheel ?----Not sure that exists on a 1989 model 90 HP.-----Does the starter operate if you use booster cables on it , yes or no ?

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Note the question mark in my post. Also not sure about the safety switch.

Use of booster cables, as suggested, would mean jumping directly from a known strong battery (e.g., your truck) to the starter. Pos. clamp to the post on the starter, neg. to the bracket. (tests starter condition, all wiring aside)

Might try rocking the the remote shift back and forth slightly while trying to start, assuming the starter checks out well.

w2much

Lieutenant
Dont forget the obvious. Make sure all of your electrical connections are good clean and have a clean contact. Look for a frayed wire. Fuses can get old and fail but usually there is a fault which causes the fuse to blow. Take a look at your battery connections also. Anything floating around down there which could have shorted ? Lets just suppose your fuse blew for a reason other than product failure. You need to find that reason.

Last edited:

Fed

Commander
IF the primer solenoid clicks but the starter solenoid doesn't click then it means any of the following.

1) Keyswitch is faulty and not closing the contacts between B and S on the keyswitch when in the start position.
2) Neutral safety switch is not closing when in neutral.
3) Open circuit between keyswitch & starter solenoid, this includes the big red plug at the motor.
4) Faulty starter solenoid or the negative side of the starter solenoid is not grounded.

Start at the easy to get to place first.
Test for 12 Volts across the two small terminals on the starter solenoid while the keyswitch is held in the start position.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Where is this neutral safety switch that is under the flywheel ?----Not sure that exists on a 1989 model 90 HP.-----Does the starter operate if you use booster cables on it , yes or no ?

I have the 1990 version of that motor and is nearly 100% identical to the model on year ago.

That motor does not have a neutral safety switch in the flywheel area Just the stator and timing base with the timing linkage.

Neutral safety for starting is in the control box.

Never heard of any OMC v4 crossflow with that feature, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone made an after market product for that.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Post # 6 seemed to indicate to GSX455 that he might find one under the flywheel.----Which most of us know that this is not true.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If the OP has a switch in the control box he is using, he should check the function of that switch.

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oldboat, how do I check the neutral safety switch on the control box, it's new control box bought last year.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Depends on the box, but involves throttle handle contacting the switch, often spring loaded. See if you can locate a diagram of your control box.

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, I removed the primer solenoid, and it fired right up, then when I re-installed it still fired up. I put the plug wires back on, after adding some oil, and it did not.
Voltage across the 2 small terminals reads 6 volts when the ignition key is turned. It's looking like I need a new starter solenoid. Also, it blows the 20A fuse frequently. Is this related to the solenoid getting high resistance?
Thanks for all your help.