Motor wont stand up straight while trailering

IDFISHER

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a '94 60 HP Johnson and whenever I have it on the trailer and drive down the road, it wants to fall over to the starboard side and it pulls my transom saver off the roller and drags down the road. Is there a way to prevent this? The only solution i've come up with is to clamp a pair of channel locks on the steering rod that goes through the tilt tube which would stop it from turning that direction. Any other thoughts?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Most Transom Busters/Defloppalizers hold the engine in the straight ahead position quite well, when attached to the trailer frame

IDFISHER

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Are you saying that transom savers do more harm than good? I'd love to learn more about this concept, would you mind explaining? Also, my saver just has a C shaped bracket on the end that wraps around the keel roller at the back of the trailer, there's nothing that locks it i place other than trimming the motor down and holding it in place by force.

fireman57

Captain
Most have a V at the end that fits snugly over the lower unit. Use a bungee strap around it and it shouldn't move. There should be holes in the V bracket for this. There should also be holes with a small wire that keeps the C bracket on the roller. Never saw where you would think someone said they do more harm than good.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If the engine is held rigid by hydraulics against the transom buster, any movement of the boat on the trailer, will put enormous stress on the transom. If the motor is free to flop around, then the TB/defloppilzer is of some valuue. The better ones are mounted to the trailer crossmember using some means that it can't pull away. A very tight bungee, to hold it against the trailer might keep yours in place

thatone123

Banned
I had this problem the other day on a road most will never experience. 20 miles of roller coaster from Northern frost heaves. On the way my 55 Yamaha fell down and slightly bent the prop blades a little. On the way back I readjusted my Costco yellow ratchet straps from a higher position on the sides where there are small rope cleats. Real tight from a higher postition made all the difference. I'd say 20 miles on this road would be equal to 3 years normal wear and tear.