Older OMC Remote Control Question?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I am still troubleshooting my '73 50 HP Evinrude. Checked all the stuff on the engine itself because I have no spark on either cylinder, everything seems to check out fine.. I was talking to a friend of mine, yesterday who is out of state and he mentions a neutral safety switch, which I told him I did check it on the side of the engine, then he mentions there is another one in the remote control. So if that is the case and there is a second neutral safety switch in the controls(I have never been in them) What was the reason for a redundant two switch system? Everything in this boat is how the factory set it up in '73 so the motor and remote are original to the boat. The motor model number is 50373

As soon as it stops raining, I plan on opening up the remote to double check things in there.

Is there is reason to have both of these switches that do the exact same thing and can one be safely eliminated?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The nuetral safety switches , yes both of them prevent CRANKING of the motor if it is in gear.----Or too much throttle..-----They do NOT prevent spark.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The nuetral safety switches , yes both of them prevent CRANKING of the motor if it is in gear.----Or too much throttle..-----They do NOT prevent spark.

Okay, thanks for the information, then they are both working, because the motor does not crank while in gear.

Thanks again.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
could be an issue with cranking speed (wire connections, battery and starter condition).