No water flow from tell tale

doctorair

Cadet
Just purchased a 1991 Johnson GT150 the other day. Although the motor runs great there is no water coming out of tell tale. Took cover off and noticed the hose is missing off of barb fitting. First question is why would someone disconnect that and second where is the water going now? I’ve had it at the lake with cover off trying to see if water was pouring into bottom of block or a hose spraying every where inside but it’s all dry. Is it possible this motor doesn’t have one? Every outboard I’ve owned always pee’d. Owner did say he just had the water pump replaced at shop. I asked if he’s ever seen water coming out of motor and he never has.

fireman57

Captain
Check and make sure the hole in the fitting is not clogged with mud or something. You can always get a piece of hose and stick it on there and route it. If it is not clogged then unscrew it and run it in a barrel, not on muffs, and see if water reaches it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some folks have no need for a tell tale.------Perhaps it has a water pressure gauge installed.-----A far superior set-up than a tell tale you can not see from the helm on many boats.----The tell tale is just an indicator for the water pump.-----It does NOT tell you the motor is cooling properly.-----Most of the cooling water goes out with the exhaust.

doctorair

Cadet
My last Johnson was a 225 and it had a helluva stream. Just making sure I’m not missing something here. Thanks for the insight gentlemen