Evinrude 30 2 stroke 1994 E30RLERM

thatone123

Banned
This outboard has got me perplexed. It has good spark and won't even start with my patented concoction of WD 40 and starting fluid. (just kidding on the patented part) Usually it never misses with that stuff usually... and right away I know it is usually (lot of usuallies here) the fuel system.. Is it possible for a short to develop after plugs are installed of what else?

fireman57

Captain
Disconnect the black/yellow wire (kill wire) and see if it starts. If it does you will have to choke it to kill it. WD40 is not a lubricant. If you are going to start it this way use premix in a spray bottle. When was the last time you cleaned the carbs?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
won't even start with my patented concoction of WD 40 and starting fluid. (just kidding on the patented part)

I would have preferred you to be kidding about the Starting Fluid, a great way to ruin a powerhead. The WD 40 isn't a great idea either. If you need to spray anything into the carb(s) or throttle body, a mixture of gas-oil 50:1 is just fine

thatone123

Banned
I know, I know Jimmbo, many say that. I am just too impatient I guess and my elixir has saves me much time and trouble over the years as many times I have found just gas will not get the job done. It really works on oldies that have sat for years. It probably does not help longevity, but poor maintenance and starting procedures probably cause as much trouble. Appreciate your input, maybe I will cut back on the use, kind of like quitting tobacco, though I have never used it. Anyway, found the problem and thank God it did not involve a flywheel key as I cringe at taking off flywheels but have done the job many times. IT was that throttle shaft or whatever the term is. IT comes out from the left side of the stator plate. It was not hooked up to the little white plastic throttle connector. It needed a new very small cotter pin to hold it on. Someone has fooled with these assemblies in the past.. Compared to smaller OMC outboards and others the throttle cam does not slide on the plastic plate all the way but about half way that shaft that was disconnected takes over to move the throttle shaft on the carb. Why is this? What changed over the years so that the throttle cam does not slide all along that cam plate from idle to full throttle. Hope this is a clear explanation.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Manufacturers make changes for 2 reasons, First is to reduce costs, Second, to fix mistakes. Often the Second is the Result of the First

thatone123

Banned
So if the rod coming to the throttle cam was not attached, I guess the motor had no timing and that is why it would not fire?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Wrong.-----That rod only opens the throttle.----Timing is controlled by the flywheel and the magneto plate.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your best bet is to find a similar motor.----Then observe what that rod does.