1959 Johnson 50 hp timing

Tyler793

Recruit
i have a 1959 Johnson v4s-11 And wondering how to time it. Where does the throttle need to be positioned ? Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is this motor in running condition ?----Are you aware of the " legendary " thirst of this motor.-----Uses fuel as if it was free to you.----Timing involves putting crankshaft it the right position.---And the magneto pulley in the right position.-----Some one will post the procedure soon I think.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
1. Align flywheel timing mark between the marks on recoil starter and water cover.
2.There is a timing mark on the magneto mounting bracket, and a mark on the breaker plate Note the one on the breaker plate extends along the bottom of the plate. Adjust the throttle so the two marks align where they meet
3. Now without moving throttle. align the mark on the belt pulley with the one on the breaker plate.
4. Slip the belt on and adjust tension.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Of course, before timing as F_R says, make sure the points are clean and set to open .030" on peak of cam, and you get a nice blue "snappy" spark, when you spin the distributor pulley.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would say 0.020" for the points or use a meter so they open at the timing marks on the distributor.