1984 Johnson 60HP Idle and Carb

Byronram

Recruit
Hi, I have a 1984 Johnson 60hp outboard. I have been trying to find information on the carburetor and i'm hoping someone here might be able to help. My main issue, is I can't figure out how to set the air to fuel ratio on this carb. I am a total rookie and engine repair so I don't know a lot, but here is my issue. This carb has an orifice idle screw, and then a screw plug. What i'm unsure of is if the Screw plug is what controls the fuel air mix or if it's just supposed to be seated tight. If I loosen it, it just keeps spinning which makes me think it's just supposed to be seated tight, but I haven't been able to confirm that. If that is the case then is the idle just set by the low speed idle cable? The link shows the parts i'm talking about which are #9 and #30 Thanks in advance.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
#9 is the metering jet , goes in tight.----#30 is a plug that goes in tight.-----No adjustment.----And what is your motor doing / not doing that leads you to believe that the carburetors are at fault ?

Byronram

Recruit
Thank you both. I was hoping that was the answer. The reason I asked is I have had some trouble adjusting the idle speed and I wanted to make sure that at least the carburetor was set up correctly. I have done a pretty thorough cleaning of both cabs so I think at least that should be ok, but I just wasn't sure about the screws. My main issue now is getting the idle speed correct so that I can get it into gear without stalling. I adjusted the low speed idle cable grommet which seemed to help but I am not sure if that's the correct way to do that adjustment. Thanks again for the quick reply and help.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Do a link and sync. If you dont know what that is get a manual. Idle speed is set in gear on a warm motor.

Byronram

Recruit
Thanks. I ran a compression test the other day and it was about 110 on each cylinder, but I will run one again tomorrow.I replaced the head gasket recently because the old one was blown. I have the manual, but the link and sync is a little confusing to me. I'm just learning this stuff so some of the jargon is like a foreign language, but I will try to go through it again.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Idle speed is set using the timing low speed screw. And while warm and in gear like said above. You can get these idling so low they almost sound like they have cut out which is exactly what you want to save fuel and gears.
Check its heating up alright, sometimes the poppet valves get warped and so too much water goes through meaning it wont idle properly

Byronram

Recruit
Thanks I think I get it now on the idle setting. I ran a compression test and it was 130 on the top and about 100 on the bottom so that is a problem. I recently replaced the head gasket so that is ok, but I found that my intake manifold gasket was bad at the bottom reed valve so I need to replace that. would that cause the compression difference or should I be looking for something else to fix the compression?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Intake and reed valves have nothing to do with compression in the cylinder.-----Sounds like there is an issue with piston and rings on #2 cylinder.