Reeve method

I set my timing on my outboard using the Joe Reeves method. My motor calls for 19° BTC so I set it for 15 said it for 15°. The only issue that I'm having is the timing screw is all the way one way. I feel that I've did something incorrect any advice would be helpful.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Make sure you are using the right set of timing marks. What screw are you turning?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
I set my timing on my outboard using the Joe Reeves method. My motor calls for 19° BTC so I set it for 15 said it for 15°. The only issue that I'm having is the timing screw is all the way one way. I feel that I've did something incorrect any advice would be helpful.

Yes, it appears that you've overlooked something. The full spark advance screw stop... the one with the rubber bumper... that screw should have only changed approximately 4 or 5 turns as one (1) turn of the screw equals (roughly) one (1) degree.

I assume that engine has the "Fast Start" feature? If so, did you disable it as mentioned?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Lesson here is.-----Timing on outboards does not go out of adjustment.----Be very careful if you decide to make changes.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
^^^^^ +1
A real Pandora's box.... it is not like a car.
If it ain't broke....:)

I was unsure about the fast start so i started the motor and ran it til operating temp. There is two spots on flywheel that has marks but i made sure to find TDC.

I bought the boat from an older man he told me he adjusted the screw with the rubber stopper. Well he touch alot of thing on the motor actually. I already did a link and syn but now trying to fugure the timing thing out. There is two set of timing marks on my flywheel which set do i use to set the WOT timing.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Look at the pointer needle holding screw. You can usually tell if it has been moved because the screw will leave a mark on it. If it looks like it has been moved you will need a piston stop to relocate it. If it has not been touched do the next step. Now Stick a wooden dowel into #1 cylinder ,the top one. Run it up until it stops moving that should get you close enough so you can tell what marks to use.