1989 Evinrude 20 Throttle Weirdness/no start (video included)

Shivaya

Cadet
Hello guys - first post here.

There seems to be a wealth of information here, so thanks for having me.

As the title says, I'm having an issue with my trusty (up until now) Envinrude 20. To make a long story short, it was working great until the end of last season, where it started "bogging down" at high RPM. When I gave the manual primer a few pumps, it would pick back up again (I understand this is a fuel distribution issue).

This year, it didn't start at all, and I think there is more than one issue at hand - one that is outside of my comfort zone.

I did go through the no-start check list in the top secret file, and then I completely rebuilt the carb and changed my spark plugs before noticing that there is a hole in the hose that goes from the manual primer to the fuel bowl plug on the carb.I can't seem to figure out the size of the hose (it looks like the inside diameter is 3/8), so if anyone knows off the top of their head, it would be appreciated.

That said, the main reason I am writing is in the following video. Though I have experience with small engines, I don't have much with boat engines, so this throttle issue is throwing me off. I would greatly appreciate if someone could watch the short video below and let me know if this looks right...

Thanks in advance, I will be checking the site regularly, and I will be happy to answer any question.

Cheers from Canada

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The stopper on the rod needs to be adjusted.------Where in Canada ?

Shivaya

Cadet
In the ottawa area (Gatineau, QC)!
is there a specific nomenclature for that stopper or do I just need to push it back to where it meets the white cube?

Shivaya

Cadet
Give it about 3/16" clearance with the white cube at idle.

OK - I'll start with that.

Once I've changed the fuel hose and adjusted that, I'll report back to hopefully let everyone know that all is well now.

Thanks for your help

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Everything looks fine the way it is. Put the motor in gear and try your throttle again I bet it will open all the way. If you put the stop to close to the block it will over rotate the butterfly and close it again.

Shivaya

Cadet
Everything looks fine the way it is. Put the motor in gear and try your throttle again I bet it will open all the way. If you put the stop to close to the block it will over rotate the butterfly and close it again.

I'll make sure to try it while in gear but I do remember being able to rev up the engine on neutral. At this point it's barely moving at all.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Your throttle is working fine just the way it should !! Get a manual and read up on the operation of an outboard 2 strk. The timer base moving under the flywheel allows the motor to rev up. The carb will not open until a specific point in the timing which is marked on that cam by 2 marks. The throttle is being stopped on purpose to prevent serious over revving and damage to your motor. Or harm to you when the inside parts of the motor decide to be on the outside. It will operate normally once the motor is in gear! So don't adjust anything until you try the throttle in gear!!!!

Do you have the tether attached to the switch? Have you checked for spark? What is your compression?

Last edited:

Shivaya

Cadet
Your throttle is working fine just the way it should !! Get a manual and read up on the operation of an outboard 2 strk. The timer base moving under the flywheel allows the motor to rev up. The carb will not open until a specific point in the timing which is marked on that cam by 2 marks. The throttle is being stopped on purpose to prevent serious over revving and damage to your motor. Or harm to you when the inside parts of the motor decide to be on the outside. It will operate normally once the motor is in gear! So don't adjust anything until you try the throttle in gear!!!!

Do you have the tether attached to the switch? Have you checked for spark? What is your compression?

well... you were right! I put it in gear and turned the throttle again and it open much more. Glad I didn't mess with it before seeking advice...

I'll change the hose this weekend and try to get it started again and report back.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time

Shivaya

Cadet
She's alive!
I changed a damage fuel line, and now it starts. Happy I did not mess with the throttle links...

Now I just need to figure out why it stalls at idle, but I'll do my own research before asking questions.

Thanks again to those who responded.
Nic

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
All that oddness in the linkage, the spring/slot and collar with a set screw, is what is called the Fuel Saver Linkage. All the timing advance occurs before the carb really opens much. Once the engine is running at or near top speed It allows the carb to be severely closed, while retaining full spark advance. There is a drop of a few hundred RPMs, but an Increase in MPG of about 25 - 30%

Shivaya

Cadet
Thanks for the info jimmbo! - I'm learning more and more about small engines and this is very useful info.

Bosunsmate, thanks for that. I'll start by checking the thermostat because I'm trying to avoid buying a compression testing tool, but I've been keeping that in the back of my mind for sure.

I'm also considering replacing all of the fuel lines. I only replaced the one that had turned to mush, but I am assuming there most be some other decomposition going on in there...