1963 Johnson 10 hp slow recoil

Dbmanthe

Recruit
Hello all
I've been lurking here on and off for some time but finally decided to join. I've got some boating in my past, pretty much all surrounding fishing. I also have a 1984 Bayliner with a 50 hp Force and a 1953 Martin 60.
My question has to do with a 1963 Johnson 10 hp. I think it's a QD-10. In my experience this motor has been a very solid runner. We always use it for a week while fishing in northern Wisconsin and it does great. However, after starting it the recoil handle returns very slowly to its resting position on the motor and you can hear a kind of a buzzing as the spring sticks and releases. Do I need to remove the recoil to clean and lubricate the spring or can I spray WD-40 underneath and be successful?
Since I live in Colorado I have to pack tools and that makes a difference if I do have to remove the recoil

thanks everyone!

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Tough to answer as there could be a few things causing this.

Frayed rope, someone may have lubricated it in the past/gooey grease, a failing/failed spring.

Id say tear it down and inspect it, the problem should be obvious.

WD may solve the issue, but it is sure to make one hell of a mess.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A QD-10 is a 49.----A 1963 model might be a QD-24.-----I think there is a hole in the sheave to lubricate the spring.----Proper design for that motor.----Gave one of those 1963 models to an 8 year old and he starts it himself when motor is warmed up.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
WD-40 OK. But what I do is turn it (the starter) upside down and dump some mineral spirits in it while pulling & retracting the rope. Or just dunk it if you have a big enough container. The spirits will dissolve the old sticky grease and re-deposit it as like fresh new thin grease. The mineral spirits will then evaporate.

Dbmanthe

Recruit
To be a bit clearer, rope is in good shape, I am 100% positive my father never took it apart to do anything until last year when he put new coils and condensers on. We put new Champion C6J(think that the number)plugs in it
The motor was doing the same thing before he worked on it as well as since he worked on it.
There is what I would call good tension on the rope when you pull it out before the you feel the compression, it just returns slowly once the motor starts. There are also very low hours on this one, we're guessing 200 or less.
How difficult is it to pull the whole recoil assembly off to clean the spring? What kind of lubricant would you recommend? From my experience I am guessing the factory grease has degenerated into dark grey weapons grade clothes stain.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
This is all fairly simple stuff.----After you are done you will say.-----"that was easy "

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If it is a QD-10, it is more work to get the hood off than to fix the starter. But if it is a 1963, piece of cake--like three bolts. Did you read my post?

Dbmanthe

Recruit
F_R I did read your post, I just wasn't sure what to relubricate with. It doesn't help that it is currently around 1,000 miles away.
If I recall correctly there were 3 bolts arranged around the flywheel? Just pull those off, flip it over and clean/ lubricate the spring?