Question about OMC 20 thru 40 lean cough

thatone123

Banned
I've had a number of these motors (2 stroke) for almost 50 years now. I'm wondering if anyone will try to answer this question. I've noticed that this particular line of outboards tend to develop a lean cough condition especially if they sit unused for a period of time. Many times all they need is an adjustment to the low speed jet, that many times is labeled as rich or lean on the front facia of the outboard. Other times they might need a carb clean. Inquiring minds want to know.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
50 years ?------This lean cough is not well understood.----Tell me what you think is happening .

thatone123

Banned
Well, that the fuel mix is too lean...Got it to run right, was just wondering why this older series of outboards seem to do this a lot from my experience, not to mention they are very hard to pull start, need both hands unless you are a macho man. That's interesting that you said it's not well understood, seems that way.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I'm far from a Macho man, but I used to Rope Start our OMC V4s and my Merc Inline 6s all the time(too cheap to replace weak Batteries). Old neglected unmaintained motors often have dirty/gummed up carbs, most of the time the result is leanness. Racer understands it very well

thatone123

Banned
You must be a macho man as I know a commercial fisherman who tore his bicep muscle pulling a 40 omc 2 stroke when it misfired.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
No, and I'm not Hercurock either. A guess in an argument between a muscle and a backward rotation, the engine will win, but most people don't hold the handle in a death grip either