Quick question on fuel supply...

Dentpusher

Cadet
For a rough and dirty test to see if you are sucking air in your fuel supply/primer bulb/filter connections, can you just clamp off your fuel line near the tank and pull a vacuum on the line at the VRO location and see if it holds a vacuum? If so, how far down would you pull it. I don't have access to a lake, due to flooding, to do the normal full throttle test for bubbles and my VRO seems to be in good condition holding a vacuum and passing the VRO test chart.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
depends what your tank is. Ive found a leak in mine half way down the pick up hose inside the tank

Dentpusher

Cadet
I definitely will be keeping that in mind but my issue FEELS like more of a one cylinder miss. But a couple years ago, I added a fuel/h2o separator and I have also had primer bulbs fail so I'm wanting to double check the easy stuff. I suspect a single carb, #5, has an issue as it appears to be over feeding fuel and since my pulse hose had no fuel in it when I removed the VRO, I don't think the extra fuel is coming from the pulse hose. What about the recirc check valve not sucking the excess fuel out? Does anyone know if the VRO pulse comes from #5 or #6 and would you be concerned about that? Where are those little buggers located?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Depends what engine it is.
And whether primer bulb stays firm with engine off. If a float/valve in a carb is malfunctioning it will overload fuel and miss a cylinder

Dentpusher

Cadet
It's a J200STL , 98 Venom 200. So how long should the bulb stay hard after pumped up?