1981 Evinrude 35 With Electric Tilt

slick75

Cadet
The son and I are starting to restore our old Terry bass boat. One of the nagging bugs since I bought it back in '01 was the tilt. It raises and lowers fine when in neutral or idling in gear but as soon as you engage the throttle any little bit the piston bleeds down. I've looked around and I get mixed answers on whether or not that's normal. There are no signs of external leaking of oil, though one comment I found on another site suggested the piston seal maybe be bleeding by. I didn't get real deep into comments since it was a thread that was a couple of years old and it looked like everybody seemed to want to lead the OP to buy a $700 trim plate. That might happen way in the future but until we are sure this thing is going to run right again its not worth the money and effort that would involve. At this point I just want the boat to function normally, if its not broken I'm not going to fix it, though the ability to adjust the tilt under power would be a definite advantage in the areas we plan to use the boat.

My question is, is/was it normal for Evinrude to install a tilt system solely for the purpose of raising the motor in unpowered conditions?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
All the tilt only systems I remember were built that way.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Post some pictures of this system.-----Not sure if anything was offered from the factory.-----Sounds like a unit crafted / adapted by an enthusiastic individual.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
There was a power tilt kit offered by OMC for the 35hp, 1976 thru... OMC part #173737

Source: 1981 OMC of Canada Accessories Catalog

Parts Diagram

zxzxsz.png

Last edited: