removing head 2000 Evinrude 50hp 4-stroke?

monkstr6100

Cadet
I have a 50hp 4 stroke evinrude that I think has a blown head gasket? It has water in the oil. When I pull the coolant/water drain lines that go to the tell tale (pisser) they will have air blowing out of them? Now my question, can I pull the head without pulling the whole power head? I have the valve cover off and now am at the point that the cams and timing chain would need to come off. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance.

monkstr6100

Cadet
I know that would be ideal to buy the manual. But this is honestly a friends boat, that I am helping out by trying to get him fixed, so he and his kids can get on the water for the holiday. Less than ideal, I know.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Most important is reassembly. Timing Mark's on the pulley and such. Use your brain and you'll be fine. These suzuki's are stupid simple...easy peasy. It's an overhead cam so no push rods to get out of order...torque sequence is standard...loosen from outside in in a circular pattern, reverse for tightening. I replace the head bolts. The manual gives a stretch spec for them. They usually fail in my experience so I just replace them all now.