88’ XP150 fuel problem

mcgreavster

Seaman
Went to jump on plane this morning and 10 seconds after taking off my motor died, primer bulb was completely empty. Re primed the ball and took off again and the same thing happened, and again and again. I started idling back to the ramp and the motor would die every 20-30 seconds. Eventually just started running back and pressing primer bulb as motor was about to die and I could run it without it shutting off on me. My boat has two gas tanks and I had this issue while trying out both tanks so I don’t think it has anything to do with the tanks (the problem would have to be from the tank selector valve to the carbs im assuming ?).

I’ve noticed almost all year after putting the boat away in garage I have a oil/gas streak coming out of the port side cowling and running down the motor, is this normal? I also noticed today when I would run back to re prime the bulb it looked like gas in the water (I popped cowling off and couldnt see any super obvious leaks while it was running).

Anyway I’m thinking it has to be either a bad leak or my fuel pump is bad. I have the original VRO pump but I premix now. Is there any good ways to test this pump to see if it’s the problem?

Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
You state that if you constantly pumped the fuel primer ball (acting as a manual fuel pump), the engine continued to run normally (in not so many words). That indicates that the engine's fuel pump is not functioning. Rebuild or replace it.

mcgreavster

Seaman
Well everything is pointing towards fuel pump at this point, disconnected the hose from fuel pump to carbs and just pumping the primer bulb I had a constant flow, then I turned the motor over and nothing. I’ll check the compression on that cylinder and pulse limiter tomorrow but I’m getting ready to order a new pump. I’ve just been pre mixing for years so I figure there’s no point in replacing with a $400-500 VRO pump. I just want to make sure the new pump I order will be compatible with this motor. Does this look right? https://www.michiganmotorz.com/johns...p-p-11494.html it’s a EMP 1399-07359, not sure if there are any better brands or anything.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
A VRO pump does not pump like a standard pump so you will not see fuel pulse from it when cranking. It could be the air motor in pump bad so testing is your best option before ordering a replacement.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Went to jump on plane this morning and 10 seconds after taking, off my motor died, Re primed the ball and took off again and the same thing happened,

Just re-read your first post... you do have a way with words. :)

mcgreavster

Seaman
Just re-read your first post... you do have a way with words. :)

I am not an English major. Did you edit those commas where they are suppose to be? I guess I don’t get your comment because my post is formatted differently than you quoted.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
I am not an English major. Did you edit those commas where they are suppose to be? I guess I don’t get your comment because my post is formatted differently than you quoted.

No, I'm not one of those either (English major). And no, I didn't move or enter any commas. The post just came across to me the second time around as aircraft trouble rather than the marine line . Being a pilot in the past, it made me smile.

mcgreavster

Seaman
Took the old pump off tonight and will get my new one delivered tomorrow. Just wanted to verify that the black part on pulse limiter is on the VRO side? Also, should I be able to blow through both sides of limiter and feel air coming out otherside?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
No, I'm not one of those either (English major). And no, I didn't move or enter any commas. The post just came across to me the second time around as aircraft trouble rather than the marine line . Being a pilot in the past, it made me smile.

Yes it reminded me of those beaver planes in Canada