1969 Johnson 6 hp Won't Start

JDusza

Ensign
Hi.
I'm working on a 1969 Johnson 6 that will not start for me. I have spark and compression but am not getting fuel. I cleaned and rebuilt the carburetor and have the engine to where it will run if I entirely block the carburetor with my thumb allowing just a sliver of air. I call it super-choke. I know the fuel pump is spurting. I disconnected the fuel line and gave it a few pulls. It appears the carburetor is getting some fuel. If I open the drain hole fuel does come out.
Any ideas or next steps are appreciated.
Thanks,
J

maybe368

Seaman
Sounds like the float or float valve is the culprit. You seem to have the ancillary stuff covered, so I would check that. A more seasoned member will chime in soon, good luck...Mark

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 2 most important steps for trouble shooting are !-------Compression test, post your numbers.----And does spark jump a gap of 5/16" on a test device on both leads, yes or no.-----Laying the plugs on the block may fool you into believing you have " good " spark !!

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
If it runs with you manually choking the carb, your carb still isn't clean. Did you remove the core plugs and lead shot to clean the passages? Lots of people say they cleaned the carbs but neglect to clean the inside of them.

JDusza

Ensign
Got it! Remove the carburetor and went through it again. Must have been something left over inside.
Thanks for your help.
J