Help! Running lean?

Medic1140

Cadet
Hello, I have an 86 Evinrude 70 hp. Im currently mixing oil due to the fact i have disconnected the oiler side of the VRO years ago. Recently I had an issue with my tilt and trim switch so I opened up the remote and repaired the switch. I cleaned and re lubed the internals. The high idle lever to start the motor works way smoother now. My throttle takes alot of force to move to wot, it always has. Do I need new cables? I noticed when the throttle is pinned it appears the linkage to the carbs could go further. The engine has been running pretty well until recently but ive had trouble idling in the past. Well, I noticed the backside of the VRO leaking fuel. I opted to remove the VRO and went with a pulse pump from the local marine mechanic. I fabricated the mount and ran all the lines. I added a new inline fuel filter, pumped the ball and found no leaks. Hooked it up to the muffs and she started right up. I noticed it seem to idle higher then normal. I was able to lower the idle temporarily by manually pulling back on the throttle near the flywheel. I shut it down and came back later and fired it back up. This time it ran in high idle and I started getting an consent alarm sound, which i assume is the overheat alarm. Did i mess something up in the remote? Is it running lean? I'm at a loss and cannot survive without fishing. Thank you all in advance!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
The stiffness in the throttle lever usually indicates at least one bad cable (tight) but without being there, you need to be the judge of that.

The constant blaring of the warning horn indicates overheating. If indeed the engine IS NOT overheating, then possibly you got the terminals of the warning horn too close to the throttle arm yoke.

Medic1140

Cadet
The block was pretty hot to touch...like concerning hot. Im trying to wrap my head around why its idling so high and running hot so quick after a new fuel pump.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is the motor running when you operate the control box ??-----Have you installed a new water pump impeller ?

Medic1140

Cadet
The water impeller is about 2 years old. Running or not the control box has always been stiff. I plan to re lube the cables.

Medic1140

Cadet
Reconfiguring the fuel pump today. Tested it on muffs. She ran like a top! No overheating. I thought it idled high but ill put it on the water to test. My best guess is it ran lean due a bad pulse line connection.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Are you sure it's overheat alarm and not VRO oil alarm ???