Idle adjustment Johnson 90hp

Kellygrace24

Recruit
I have a 2001 Johnson Evinrude 90hp oceanpro. I am trying to locate the idle adjustment screw. The bot keeps bogging down when it accelerates. I believe it just needs to be adjusted but can’t locate the screw for the life of me and without a manual it’s really difficult! Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
I assume the word "bot' is a typo meant to be "boat"

If idle adjustment screws existed on that 90hp model, they would be obvious at some location on the carburetors... BUT... those type adjustments are simply for idle and the lower speeds only. They have nothing to do with intermediate or high speed.

Bogging down and stalling when throttle is applied is normally contributed to a sticking timer base under the flywheel (retarded spark), throttle butterflies opening too soon in relation to the timing (*out of sync), or fouled, clogged, gummed, carburetors. It's usually the carbs but check everything I mention..

*Synchronization: loosen screw and back roller away from cam.... make sure that the linkages between carburetors are such that "all" of them are fully closed.... make sure that the butterflies open and close at the same time.

Now, back to the screw at the roller... Adjust the roller so that the throttle butterflies just start to open when the scribe mark of dead center with the roller. The screw should be tightened at that point. You do not want the butterflies to open before or after that dead center mark happening.

That's the extent of Sync & Link.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Should be a 60 degree so has optical eye ....adjustment on top of flywheel cover. You need a service manual to set idle mix and syncing

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Well, hopefully what I typed will be of some use to another... too damn many changes for us older guys. Think I'll join the Moose Club.

Kellygrace24

Recruit
We had the carbs rebuilt and cleaned with new float bowls. Adjusted fine, idles fine, but won’t go above 2500 rpms under load. We think it is going into slow mode and could be the temp sensor but wanted to adjust the idle and air intake just to rule that out but can’t find the specifics in the manual. Thanks for all the help!

fireman57

Captain
Time to check spark with an open air tester. Joe I am with you. Too much new stuff passes me by.