Motor stalling at low idle

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I did check the fittings but not the fuel pick-up inside my gas tank under the floor in my boat. I will be out on the lake tomorrow to try and make some fine adjustments on the slow idle needle. I did remove the needle the other day, shot some carb cleaner into the hole where it came out of and blew into it with my air compressor. Have not ran the motor since then. I hope I can see some changes now by adjusting that needle. Previously, I turned it in and out & there were no changes at all.

If the needle still has no effect on the idle of the motor, I will be taking it back to the mechanic that rebuilt the carb last year and see what he can do for me. I was trying to not take it to the mechanic because of the time lost, however, I am missing out on the walleyes in Lake St. Clair here in Mi. because I cannot troll for them! Problem with the mechanic is he will take forever to get to the motor because he is sooooo busy. Thanks for all of your help on this one to all of you that contributed. I really appreciate it.

I will report back when I get her taken care of one way or the other.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The few people who actually repair motors these days are " very busy " to say the least.

iggyw1

The few people who actually repair motors these days are " very busy " to say the least.

Well, I will just have to resign to the fact that I may not be able to troll unless I pick up a cheap trolling motor until my gas kicker motor is repaired. I may just pick up a used electric motor with a battery to hold me over while mine is in the shop getting fixed. Or I suppose i can get the parts and rebuild my carb myself pretty quick.I have to order the parts on line.

Maybe I can just take the carb off and clean it. It had all new parts put in last year. I have some gasket material and can make my own gaskets if need be. I think I am better off letting a mechanic do it all. I never rebuilt a carb.

iggyw1

Another quick question for anyone that knows, If I leave my carb in the motor, and just remove the black plastic top of it, will I get to the idle passages that I can clean out with a small wire and carb cleaner or will I not see them by just removing the top of the carb? Thanks!

iggyw1

The pop /quit is a lean sneeze.. not enough fuel at idle. If you cannot enriches the mixture enough with the low speed needle, your low speed circuit in carb is gummed/clogged, requiring carb clean. This is assuming you have good fuel and carb bowl is full. You could try pulling the low speed needle completely out and blowing compressed air in that hole w/air nozzle/rubber hose attached. This will sometimes clear the circuit and motor will perform normally..

Thanks. I did this once. I now have a new primer ball that feels way differant than my old one. It fills up with two or three squeezes and stays hard when I do not start the motor and it is sitting in my garage. I have a question now though for you. If I remove that needle again, spray carb cleaner in the hole where it goes again, is there any kind of "O" ring or gasket that I just might blow out with my air compressor? I don't want to lose an "O" ring if there is one in there that can fly out, but I would like to try it again since it did seem to help a bit the first time (before I got the new ball). I have not tried to start it with the new ball in place yet. Iwent to put some muffs on the motor in my driveway, and I could not see any slots for the water pickup on this motor. Where is that at? 1991 Evinrude, 6 H.P. model E6REIA

iggyw1

This is an update which I promised after I tried everything all of you guys suggested. I finally received my new gas line and primer ball that I ordered on line. I used my old gas line since the one I just received was too chincey, and my old one is made for ethynal fuel and it is lined inside and reinforced in the rubber material. I immediately felt a HUGE difference when I pumped the ball a few times. It actually got hard where I just could not pump any more, it was that firm. Stayed that hard in my garage just sitting there for 4 days.

Took my boat out to the lake today. Started on the third pull. I had to adjust the slow idle needle, but when I got her tweaked in, it trolled for an hour straight at a very slow troll without coughing, sneezing or stalling out at all. I also put in 16 more ounces of Sea Foam (which I use religously) to give both of my motors a good dose of the stuff. I thank all of you that added anything to my questions or gave me any kind of ideas about why my motor would not troll, but it seems great now (at least today it ran great). Thank you all.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If the fuel system is clean, solvents aren't needed. Fuel does the job. If dirty, solvents can move nasties from one place to another (often to the carb).