57 Johnson fuel pump conversion

ub54

Seaman Apprentice
my new project is one of those pressure to vacuum conversions. It seems someone before tried and gave up. Anyway it has what appears t be an electric pump with a hose going to a nipple behind the carb. Theres a line coming from the sediment bulb to the carb bowl which I assume is right . and then it has a little impulse pump hanging by itself with an in and a out. Heres the tricky part , I located where somebody had drilled to mount an impulse jump to the crankcase like I have see on youtube with bolt holes on either side to mount it . My question , can I cap the two nipples behind the carb and mount a impulse pump where they had intended to and make it a one line motpr again ? I see no use for the electric pump or what it even does

F_R

Supreme Mariner
What horsepower is your '57? If it is a 35hp it is already set up for a fuel pump. It was a factory accessory when new. Minor drilling required.

ub54

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry for not getting back with you thanks! I fixed the fuel pump deal now I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION. On this 1957 35 HP Johnson are there any compression releases on it ? There are 2 things near the spark plugs with springs that I have never seen before. If not how the hell do you pull the rope ?

lindy46

Captain
Yup, that's the compression relief valves. Should connect to a groove in the recoil starter via a flat metal bar. When you pull the rope, it activates the valves to make it easier to pull start.

ub54

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks! I couldn't imagine thee size of the guys arms that pulled it. BTW ,what is the setting for the carb at start up ? I'll try not to bug anyone again !

lindy46

Captain
Initial settings
Slow speed 1.5 turns out from lightly seated.
High speed 3/4 turns out from lightly seated.
Fine tune on boat, first high speed at WOT until motor runs best then slow speed until idle is optimised. Turn clockwise (lean) until motor sneezes, then back out about 1/8 turn.

ub54

Seaman Apprentice
How will I know what to look for on the compression releases. They're hooked up but surely not working. And thanks again

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They only work when you pull the recoil.------That is if you have the correct recoil with that flat steel arm going the valves.

ub54

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah its hooked up but there's only one screw on the back part I'm going to find another one for the other hole. But is there only one groove that the front part can sit it? This thing turns over hard, real hard unless I take out the plugs ,then in turns over like it should . I don't know something seems like its not receiving any compression. BTW you're a great help and I really appreciate it.

ub54

Seaman Apprentice
I'm gonna donate blood to the mosquito population and eyeball the motor some more .I'll get back with you

ub54

Seaman Apprentice
Above I wrote receiving I meant relieving any compression

lindy46

Captain
Take the plugs out and pull the recoil. You should see the valves opening if it's set up correctly.

ub54

Seaman Apprentice
Is it possible to take them apart and clean things up or is it a major project? Either way I'm
Sure I CAC handle it? Aw hell , I'll just do it.

ub54

Seaman Apprentice
I checked it out again , everything seems to be working. Even pried each valve open and closed a few times . My last question, is there supposed to be any gap or adjustment on them ? Because if the answer is no then this old man will have to let it go because I don't think I can pull start it . A shame though. Because I know it will run . Thanks again !

F_R

Supreme Mariner
There should be a gap when they are closed (recoil fully retracted). Not critical, about 0.015" I think.

ub54

Seaman Apprentice
well , I'm officially giving up on the 57 . Hate to , but the rope start is just too much for me . Getting older does that to a guy . Its a really well kept motor I guess I'll be stuck with unless I can find some young Hulk armed man to buy it . Thanks again for all the help.!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If it is in good shape you might look for an electric start for it.----Should not be that hard to find.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Have to make a game of it. For original parts, I would say the starter mounting bracket is probably the toughest. Check out local bone yards, Craig's List, Ebay, etc. A working or rebuildable starter with it is a bonus. You may end up with a parts motor, although that may involve lifting, trucking and storing. (At 72, I'm finding them pretty heavy to play with.)

You can do without the transom box and electrical harness, as you can make a simple harness with an outboard solenoid, push button starter and wiring.

(btw, I've had a number of these 35s, and have rarely found a compression relief system that worked very well.)