Evinrude 150 ignition buzzing

Mhaskamp

Cadet
My 1989 evinrude 150 ignition switch is buzzing inconsistently. It will stop if the key is wiggled, happens when cold so it is not an overheat warning. Starts, runs perfect, but the buzz occurs unpredictably. It will stop if I play with the key. Is the ignition bad?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Those buzzers go bad but sometimes it's a bad wire or ground there at the switch. They switch should not wiggle, needs to be tight and the wires not all twisted up.

w2much

Lieutenant
As Jakedawg says. And I hate to say like so many others but get the factory manual, not Clymer,not Seloc. They are you only salvation sometimes, especially with the VRO and warning horns. I had the same issue for quite a while, drove me nuts. Finally disregarded the buzzer, just once, and blew my motor. So do as Jakedawg says and report back. Check your temperature sending wires. There is a diode in the harness that in combination with a bad wire will set that buzzer off if bad and it will keep going off til you turn the ignition off and restart. Look for some of my old post regarding the warning horn, system check ect. I know you dont have system check but you may see something in the post and replies that can help. Good luck.

Mhaskamp

Cadet
Thanks for the advice. I will take it apart this weekend and check the wiring. Tried when I was at the dock but didn’t have all the needed tools. I will let you know what I find out.

Mhaskamp

Cadet
Went to the boat the other day and took the ignition apart. Sure enough 2 loose wires. Tightened them up and the ignition work as it should have. No constant buzz. Water test soon. Hopefully this weekend. Thanks for the help