Overheating Problem even with new impeller

Johsnson Outboarder

Seaman Apprentice
Bought my first boat a few months ago and it’s left me stranded on the water almost every time. First thing I replaced was the power pack to get spark. Then I took it out and it heated up and left me stranded. Started to read up and then replaced the water pump, stator, and trigger thinking one of those was the problem since I had lost spark until the engine cooled down enough. So then I finally try to address the heating up issue by replacing thermostats and I’m currently waiting on a new power pack since I’m not getting any spark again. Once I get it, would it be a good idea to take it out again with the new thermostats or is there something else it could be? The motor is a 1996 Johnson 130 that’s had the VRO system bypassed. Just did a compression test today and the results were 112, 113, 120, and 120 psi. Thanks in advance!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
If this motor has the water deflectors in the head then they need replacing but otherwise you are good to go, sounds like the heating up was rather serious.
You could run it at home first and check the heads heat up evenly (one not much hotter than the other) and that they dont get too hot. Sounds like your overheat alarm needs work too

Johsnson Outboarder

Seaman Apprentice
I dropped the lower unit and removed the thermostats, then I flushed it out with water through the thermostats until it became a strong water-stream from the hose inside. As an extra measure I also got the water hose and flushed it out from the bottom until water came out the thermostat holes the flow seemed much better after, for sure! I had my overheat alarm unplugged, but plugged that back in yesterday before putting everything back together and taking it out on the water again.

New issue: I put my new power pack on and didn’t get spark when I cranked the engine. I took a look at the power pack and removed the solid black wire and it started right up. So I took the boat out and the only way I could turn off the engine is when the wire was connected. Not even the key would turn it off!

Second new issue: No more overheating at all, but the engine also maxed out at 4200rpm when before it wouldn’t max out. Could it be that I ruined the trigger- Timer base on my last overheat?

Johsnson Outboarder

Seaman Apprentice
Replaced the Stator and now it runs smoothly and no RPM limiting at 4200 anymore.

I do still have one issue with my kill switch wire shorting to ground. I think it’s the big red connector that plugs in at the engine and at the ignition switch.