1958 Evinrude Sportwin Driveshaft Bushing Wear

Mruiloba

Cadet
Hello,

I recently bought an Evinrude Sportwin 10. I only gave 25 for it and figured maybe it could be fixed for less than a used outboard in my area. I read on this forum about the driveshaft and bushing wear on these engines and when I took my lower unit apart mine is worn along with a worn pinion gear and chipped forward and reverse gear. I have been a professional mechanic for 17 years. I was previously a Chevy mechanic and now work on natural gas engines so wrenching isn't new but outboards are for me, which leads me to this question.....what happens if you run this lower unit with a worn bushing and driveshaft? Does it vibrate or overheat or lockup or what? I was really wanting to get this old thing purring but if I have to replace the exhaust housing and driveshaft I believe it doesn't make sense, knowing that it needs a water pump, carb rebuild, ignition rebuild and gears.

Last edited:

Mruiloba

Cadet
I gotcha. I guess the shaft wiggling around in there will put the gears in a bind. Sounds like this one will be sold for parts. Thanks for the reply.

Mruiloba

Cadet
Is there no way to replace that bushing? I couldn't find it in a parts diagram so I assume it isn't serviceable.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It should be possible for a skilled machinist to bore it out and fit a new one. You would still have to replace all the gears and drive shaft. It's been discussed before, but I haven't heard of anybody actually doing it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What-------That is the bushing to hold the o-ring in place for the shift rod.-----That has nothing to do with the bushing above the pinion gear !!-------That gearcase certainly is not for a 10 HP or 9.9 / 15 HP .------Proof once again that some E-Bay sellers have no idea about their listings.

54bobby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What-------That is the bushing to hold the o-ring in place for the shift rod.-----That has nothing to do with the bushing above the pinion gear !!-------That gearcase certainly is not for a 10 HP or 9.9 / 15 HP .------Proof once again that some E-Bay sellers have no idea about their listings.

you are right, my mistake, thought we were talking shift rod.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Looks like a gearcase for a 28 / 33 HP model to me.

Yep, upon taking a better look, it is a seven-bolt gearcase. That's even worse than a five-bolt one. Way, way off from a '58 10hp.

Mruiloba

Cadet
Just an update, I found a housing, driveshaft, gears and bushings on ebay for under $100 so I decided to fix it. I replaced the ignition, rebuilt the carburetor, converted the fuel system to a single line with a fuel pump and replaced the water pump. The forward gear I bought had the same part number in the listing and the outboard listed said it was out of a compatible model. The problem I am having with it is the skeg will not match up with the housing now. I can install the old gear with the new bushing and it fits fine. Looks like the gear I bought is about 1/16th of an inch taller from the gear teeth to the surface the bushing rides on. I am thinking about taking the new gear to a machine shop to get it turned down a little, just wondering if anyone else has seen this?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do the replacement gears have the same tooth count ?----Careful when you start altering the " mounting distance " on gears.

Mruiloba

Cadet
I had not thought to check, the new gear has less teeth than the one I pulled out so I'll return this gear and get another one. Thanks.

Mruiloba

Cadet
I got the correct gear installed, installed the lower unit and let the permatex aviation sealer dry overnight. I filled it with lower unit oil, put it in a 30 gallon drum full of water this morning and its running great. I plan on taking it to the lake and fine tuning the carburetor tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone.

Mruiloba

Cadet
Well, it ran good for three trips to the lake. The used pinion gear I installed has already broke the teeth off of the upper part of the gear. The forward and reverse gears look ok, I don't see any wear in the driveshaft bushing. I'm not sure what could have happened. Anybody have any suggestions? I already have another pinion gear but I don't want to wreck this one too.