Outboard pops out of forward under load.

DonVila

Recruit
I have a 77 Evinrude 25HP (just purchased, of course). Got it out on the lake today and discovered this problem. In my case, if I hold the shift lever in the full forward position it seems to operate normally. I was by myself on a rough lake, so I couldn't try full throttle. Makes the expect ed"pop" sound when it goes out of gear. Any insights?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well known problem. Clutch dog and probably forward gear are worn out. And if you continue to run it like that, it will beat the shift linkage to death--if it isn't already.

DonVila

Recruit
Well known problem. Clutch dog and probably forward gear are worn out. And if you continue to run it like that, it will beat the shift linkage to death--if it isn't already.

Tried it once, as I mentioned. I've read in other forums that the forward gear is likely rounded, Clutch dog is less likely the suspect. The reason I posed the question is that no one else had mentioned holding the shift lever in place and getting a positive result. Thought that may have narrowed the possible causes. In any case, if I were to undertake this repair should I get any new parts beyond the clutch dog and forward gear assembly?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Lot's of people have tried holding the lever. That just adds more stress to the linkage (and damage). Whoever said the clutch dog is unlikely is out of touch.

Evaluate the shift linkage for looseness. And don't believe you can adjust it out.