90 hp 1994 Evinrude not idling

JPietrzk

Cadet
I can get it to start and run for about 10 seconds when the fast idle lever is cranked up. But if I shift the idle lever down it dies right away. Also will die after 10 seconds or so when the idle lever is cranked. After a couple of tries it won't turn over even with the fast idle lever cranked. I just replaced the lower unit. It was running pretty good before the replacement. Thanks...

w2much

Lieutenant
There is a whole lot more to this story we are not reading. Backtrack on everything that was done. Everything. Even what you were doing when the phone rang.

JPietrzk

Cadet
What do you mean? The only thing I did to replace the lower unit was disconnect the shift linkages. Everything went back in ok. I think it’s a separate issue...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Start with a compression test.-------What lower unit did you install ?----A used one off an older motor ?------Did your original have a 2 piece driveshaft ?----Did the replacement have a 2 piece driveshaft ?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Did the red lever on the primer solenoid get flipped inadvertently when you were installing the L.U.? It should be parallel with the solenoid body.

JPietrzk

Cadet
It is a new after market lower unit. It has a two piece driveshaft. I replaced the upper driveshaft because I l couldn't get the old one out. I'll try the compression test...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What part # upper driveshaft did you install in the SEI lower unit ?----Pictures of the lower unit ?----Model # of your motor ?

JPietrzk

Cadet
I'm not sure of the part# of the upper driveshaft. It's a 20" driveshaft I bought from marine parts warehouse. It looked identical to the original and seems to lock in fine when I shift it. The motor is E90TLEOR. Thanks for your help...

Attachments

• photo314575.jpg
    photo314575.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo314576.jpg
    photo314576.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • photo314577.jpg
    photo314577.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That is a 1995 model.----Did you set the shift rod height per a chart ?

JPietrzk

Cadet
yes, the shift rod height was set from the specs in the shop manual. It wasn't right at first. I had to pull it out and readjust. It's good now.

w2much

Lieutenant
My understanding is you have an issue with the starting and idling. You do not mention an issue with the lower unit other than you replaced it and then the starting problem began. I assume there is no lower unit problem. Jakedawg assumes the same as he suggest you check your red primer lever, I assume from from I read. We know what ass u me can mean. There is only the starting and idle issue so best to follow racerone as you only disconnected the shift rod linkage from under the carburetors with the vacuum hoses, fuel and oil lines, wires and linkages. You did this without removing the lower cowl nor the control cables ? .

JPietrzk

Cadet
Yes, that's correct. I don't think it has to do with the lower unit. The only thing that was disconnected was the shift rod.

JPietrzk

Cadet
I can see two pin holes on the air silencer cover. The bottom one leaks a little fuel out when I squeeze the primer bulb. Is this normal? Engine is running rich I think...

Attachments

• photo314801.jpg
    photo314801.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
No, not normal. Maybe a stuck float.

take off air silencer. Tilt motor so it's just leaning forward a little, enough to have a slight downward slant of the carb throats.

squeeze bulb til firm. Continue squeezing gently. Is there fuel running out of one of the carbs? If so that is the one with a stuck float.

Did you ever check the position of the red lever on the primer solenoid?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Post the compression numbers.-----What does " running pretty good " mean.----How long have you owned it ??