Carburetor issue?

I have a Beautiful1960 Johnson JW-16 3hp motor that I have gone through and rebuilt the carburetor.
I should note that I have never rebuilt a marine carb before. I bought a shop manual and went
by it's instructions. Pretty easy as I am accustomed to mechanical work. Problem is when I start
the motor it only runs for a couple seconds and "floods". Fuel is actually running out the front of carb
where air silencer is attached to carb and the plugs are wet. It looks too me that I have the float set
parallel to the carb body as the manual I have shows. I am assuming the valve is just not seating and allowing
too much fuel to flow?

I forgot to mention I made sure the vent was open and it ONLY will start when I have the choke engaged.
Ignition parts are all new and points are set.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I was about to suggest the vent, but you beat me to it. So, it just about comes down to the float needle & seat.

EDIT: are we talking about the same vent? I was thinking about the carb bowl vent, not tank vent.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It comes out above/beside the big bore behind the silencer.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Remove float and needle. Check the needle valve condition with a flashlight, if dirty polish it with a Q-tip. Moist it in water, add an overdose of toothpaste, polish in circular motion, replace Q-tip with a new one using same procedure till comes out clean, valve must look shinny new for needle to close properly against it. Assemble carb, check if worked ? Needle must be sharp pointy, not round to seal well against valve as was meant to work..

Happy Boating

Hi F_R, Can you please look at attached photos and tell me if the passages pointed out are the bowl vents or vent?

Attachments

• photo314340.jpg
    photo314340.jpg
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The fuel in a carburetor bowl must have atmospheric pressure in it.----So yes a carburetor bowl is vented.-----Fuel will often flow out of there if float valve is not working.----Time to revisit your carburetor work.-----Post about 6 pictures showing float level.---Nozzle gasket etc.

The one that was in there when I bought the motor looks just like this one. Original part#375919 is obsolete and replaced by 0396514 which comes in carb kit#439071. I got these parts from MarineEngine.com.I believe the originals were made of cork like material.

Does the float level and nozzle gasket look correct in the pictures and I am still curious to know if the picture with the ink pen
is infact where the bowl vent comes out like F_R described too me. Thank you all for your responses.

Well I was out of town but back at trying to get my motor running, I do not see anything wrong with my carb rebuild.
Watched several videos on rebuilding this era carb and it looks correct too me.I still have fuel just coming out of choke end of carb when trying to start.I am wondering now if I have an ignition problem as opposed to carb problem

lindy46

Captain
Everything looks good - is it possible that something is hanging up the float so the needle isn't closing? That's the only thing I can think of. Try reassembling the carb and blow in the gas inlet. With the carb right side up, air should pass through. With it upside down, no air should pass.