1998 130 HP Johnson motor intermittent issue

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
If it was that hot your not going to leave the dock...

When you do your stats flush water in the stats and out the water tube, that's where the water will come out...you pop the lower off so any chunks can feed all out and not get caught by the pump. Put a new impeller in also if you haven't already done so.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Personally, I dont use the cdi site guide as I have all the manuals. I have downloaded and read it and thought it was good. I will peruse the section pertaining to this motor and take a look.

Johsnson Outboarder

Seaman Apprentice
Okay thanks man! Yes, I have replaced the impeller. Seems to be giving me a weak flow too, just like the old one. Idk. Hopefully the flushing of the t stats will unclog something! That’d be great progress if it does!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Where did the " tall tale " about low and high pressure pumps come from ?----ct1762 can you elaborate on that.-----To me it looks like the same pump repair kit is used on all V-4 / V-6 / V-8 motors from 1980 to 2005 or so.

Johsnson Outboarder

Seaman Apprentice
Where did the " tall tale " about low and high pressure pumps come from ?----ct1762 can you elaborate on that.-----To me it looks like the same pump repair kit is used on all V-4 / V-6 / V-8 motors from 1980 to 2005 or so.

Not sure what you mean?

Johsnson Outboarder

Seaman Apprentice
Moment of truth tomorrow morning! I got my spark, got my compression, and got my fuel! The only thing I’m a little bit concerned with is maybe the springs that push up against the thermostat washer plate seem a little strong. I wonder if they might be keeping the thermostats from opening up properly? Or is that nothing to worry about? Either way, everything is done and I plan on taking it out tomorrow again and monitoring engine head temperatures for the first 30 minutes on the water. If it gets above 150 degrees, I’ll probably start heading back towards the boat ramp.

Johsnson Outboarder

Seaman Apprentice
Question: Is normal operating temperature between 136-146? That’s what my engine is averaging. I also didn’t have spark until i disconnected the black single wire under the power pack. Had to disconnect it to start the engine.

Johsnson Outboarder

Seaman Apprentice
She’s working great! Been on the water for 3 hours! The only problem is I think I burned out the timer base sensor because it maxes out at 4200 rpm

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Why do you think the timer base is at fault ?-----Any orderly trouble shooting done ?

Johsnson Outboarder

Seaman Apprentice
After some testing and following the manual, I replaced the Stator and it is now working perfectly! Thank you all for the help!