1984 40 HP Evinrude Motor Issues

I have a 1984 40 hp Evinrude, last summer it ran fine the whole time I took it out every weekend always use 91 octane and ethanol treatment and the motor was rebuilt the year prior to me buying it so parts are all new or rebuilt. This year it has been rubbing completely fine at full rpms for as long as I want but as soon as I stop for more than 15 minutes the lower cylinder floods getting the spark plug wet so it will only run on when cylinder when I restart it for about 10-15 minutes until the spark plug dries out then I can drive at full rpms again. I believe this to be a problem with the carburetor which I will be rebuilding this weekend for good measure, also I ordered a new choke solenoid which may be why it’s flooding.

The new main issue now is I have no power or anything when I turn the key, i ordered a new starter solenoid but found a fuse (I’ll include in pictures below) that connects to the starter solenoid today that is burnt out, I’ve also heard people talking about a 50 amp breaker I need to reset but don’t know the location of. I have a brand new battery and all connections are clean, has anyone had issues like this before? Any help on either issue would be much appreciated thanks!

Attachments

• photo313013.jpg
    photo313013.jpg
    674.9 KB · Views: 0
This is the fuse that goes to the starter solenoid I just found today, could this have also been affecting the choke solenoid and making it pour too much gas into the carb?

Attachments

• photo313014.jpg
    photo313014.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
A ruptured fuel pump diaphragm will flood one cylinder (the one that supplies the pulse to the pump.)

Good to know about the breaker and l have a brand new fuel pump but will inspect the diaphragm tomorrow and get back to you, thanks for the wuick replies.

I replaced the fuse and it blew right away so thought that there was an open wire shorting out somewhere, found the short repaired it and now the motor starts every time without blowing the fuse, I keep a few extra fuses now. I didn’t get a chance to inspect the fuel pump yet but I will tomorrow and see if that’s what is causing the lowing cylinder to flood.

Ok good to know The fuel pump is only a year old So I wasn’t thinking it was that, I noticed that the choke solenoids red lever was up at a 90 degree angle I switched the red lever so it’s inline with the choke solenoid. I’m taking the boat out tomorrow and will keep you updated if this fixes the issue or not.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The red lever in the manual position would put too much fuel into the engine.

Ya I think that’s what the issue was I have it pointed in the right direction going to take it out tomorrow and I’ll let you guys know if that fixes it.

So the fuel issue is fixed for now the red solenoid lever was in the wrong direction. Now the fuse is my main issue, it keeps getting blown intermittently after I cleaned up the shorted wire and reconnected it. I can’t find another shorted wire anywhere though, is there another reason it’s blowing intermittently or do I need to replace the shorted wire completely meaning I’d have to run a new wire assembly directly from the tilt trim back to the switch?

So the fuel issue is fixed for now the red solenoid lever was in the wrong direction. Now the fuse is my main issue, it keeps getting blown intermittently after I cleaned up the shorted wire and reconnected it. I can’t find another shorted wire anywhere though, is there another reason it’s blowing intermittently or do I need to replace the shorted wire completely meaning I’d have to run a new wire assembly directly from the tilt trim back to the switch?

Yes it is a 20 amp fuse I put a 25 in just to see what would happen and it starts every time now and I haven’t seen any wires melting. The flooding issue remains though until I install the new choke solenoid tomorrow, I’ll keep everyone updated, the electrical issue is going to be checked out by my electrician when he gets time so hopefully I can give everyone an exact answer why the fuse keeps blowing.

I should also note the original fuse that blew prior to the shorted wire being fixed was a bussman 20 amp 125v fuse and the fuse I replaced it with after fixing the shorted wire is a 20 amp 35v fuse because that’s all I could find locally so I don’t know if the Volts on the 20 amp 35 fuses are to low?